Honored Contributor

She died yesterday, at age 86.  She was an actress and musical comedy star, and an extremely spritely and charming presence on TV, back when talk shows had a modicum of intelligence or wit.  She could mix it up with Merv, or Mike, or anyone up for giggles and stimulating conversation.

She was even married to Adolph Green, songwriter and playwright of legendary "Comden and Green" fame, his professional partnership with the equally illustrious Betty Comden.

They ran in the Judy Holliday/Lenny Bernstein crowd.  I don't know, Phyllis represents for me the sparkle and sophistication of a long-lost New York.  She was larky and fun, and always seemed to be enjoyably making it up as she went along.  RIP.  

Honored Contributor

I think she was in the TV version of the Thin Man w/Peter Lawford.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I think she was in the TV version of the Thin Man w/Peter Lawford.

That was Phyllis Kirk. 

Honored Contributor

I remember Phyllis Newman well, she had  recurring role on Thirtysomething. I think she was a breast cancer survivor. 

Honored Contributor

oznell,

I read about the loss of Phyllis Newman very late last night and almost posted then but was too tired.  How I enjoyed her presence on late-night talk shows.  So charming.  Truly a multi-talented woman.  May she rest in peace.

Thank you for giving her a gracious and well-deserved tribute.

Respected Contributor

RIP Phyllis, thanks for all of the memories.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

I remember her too.  I could picture her and glad a photo was posted.  RIP

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I remember Phyllis Newman well, she had  recurring role on Thirtysomething. I think she was a breast cancer survivor. 

I loved the show Thirtysomething.  However, I don't remember her on the show.  That was a long time ago, when I was not yet in my thirties!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I loved the show Thirtysomething.  However, I don't remember her on the show.  That was a long time ago, when I was not yet in my thirties!

If my memory serves me correctly, Phyllis played the mother of Melissa Steadman, red haired girl,  on Thirtysomething. 

Honored Contributor

I remember Phyllis Newman very well and your comments, Oznell, were right on the mark.  I remember her on numerous talk shows and she was always upbeat and funny.  She had a laugh which made you laugh along!  I also was aware of her marriage to Adolph Green, the famous playwright and song writer as you mentioned.  

I recently watched one of my most favorite movies, Picnic, and Phyllis had a very small part in it and was in her early twenties.  

Phyllis was born in the same city I was born and raised at and she always reminded me of the NY environment which I have always loved and experienced.  May she be at peace with God.