Honored Contributor

PHANTOM THREAD MOVIE

[ Edited ]

Anyone else seen it on this board?  I saw it yesterday and really liked it.  Daniel Day Lewis was phenomenal, as usual, in it.

It was about 15 minutes too long imo, but it really was a well-done movie.  

I highly recommend.

Set amid the glamour of 1950s London, Phantom Thread tells the story of renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock, who designs gowns for everyone from the Royal Family to film stars, sewing hidden messages into the linings of his dresses. Women come and go through his life, as lovers, muses or clients, but the one constant is his sister Cyril (played by Lesley), who has dedicated her life to managing her brother's.

Each is all the other truly needs for companionship until Reynolds comes across a young woman called Alma, who disrupts their lives.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I wanna see 'Winchester' or is it Winchester House?

Helen Mirren is the star

Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 It’s on my list! Can’t wait to see it. 

Trusted Contributor

It was certainly not what I expected.  I went in thinking I would see glitz and glamour and '50s fashion but I got a strange man and a stranger girlfriend who liked to cook with mushrooms.  I won't say anymore so as not to spoil it for anyone!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It was certainly not what I expected.  I went in thinking I would see glitz and glamour and '50s fashion but I got a strange man and a stranger girlfriend who liked to cook with mushrooms.  I won't say anymore so as not to spoil it for anyone!

Well that just made me not want to see it. Thought it was about the fashion glamour, too.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Well that just made me not want to see it. Thought it was about the fashion glamour, too.

They had quite a bit of fashion and glamour !  They even had a lovely fashion show.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

@Phantom41,

Totally agree with you, a great disappointment. The atelier and seamstresses were the best part. Do not want to spoil the movie to anyone however if I were you I would wait until it is on Netflix.

Terrible casting🌻

Honored Contributor

It was a total disappointment to me also. My friend loves Daniel and we felt it was really LONG and didn't know why it garnered so many nominations.

I really enjoyed THE COLLECTION that was on PBS a few months ago. Lots of drama and glitz.

Esteemed Contributor

Total disappointment. Don't know how it was nominated for an Oscar.

Honored Contributor

This was Danial Day Lewis last movie.  He has retired from acting.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif