Super Contributor

PBS - Mr Bates vs The Post Office

Watched the first episode of Mr. Bates vs The Post Office on PBS this afternoon. Apparently there are four episodes in the series. So far, so good for this Masterpiece offering.

As usual, a very good cast and nice slices of life in small English villages. 

Anyone else watch it yet? 

Honored Contributor

Re: PBS - Mr Bates vs The Post Office

@nwbabs This was recommended on the DA FB page I'm active on. I recorded it and have the series set to record but haven't watched it yet. The true story this is based on is fascinating.

Love that Lesley Nichol, Mrs. Patmore in DA, is in it.

Trusted Contributor

I binged all four episodes already on Passport.  What an absolute outrage that was.  If this story doesn't make you furious you are not paying attention!  I was glad to read that this dramatization of the gross miscarriage of justice has had a positive outcome in raising awareness and and forcing more resolutions.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excellent @Love my grandkids glad to know others will be watching too. Agree, the true story is fascinating. I can totally understand why these subcontractors in small villages could become so befuddled by some new fangled computer system for starters.  

I so enjoyed DA and had an opportunity to tour Highclere Castle many years ago. What a treat! Loved the Mrs Patmore character and what a performance Leslie Nicol gave in the series.

Valued Contributor

I watched it and liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing the series.

I hope it's ok if I recommend another movie that is a little like this. It's The Bank Of Dave on Netflix. It's about a man who wants to start a bank in his small English town to help the people in the town. The English banking system tried all kinds of dirty tricks to stop him.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Trusted Contributor

@azgal wrote:

I hope it's ok if I recommend another movie that is a little like this. It's The Bank Of Dave on Netflix. It's about a man who wants to start a bank in his small English town to help the people in the town. The English banking system tried all kinds of dirty tricks to stop him.

I thought it was charming!  Also a true story, but a much happier one.

Super Contributor

@Bookplate Absolutely. Did a bit of reading and apparently they are still dragging on the compensating and exonerating of individuals.

I vacillate on getting Passport. Once I drop a few other hobbies (while I can still do them), PBS binging with Passport will rise to the top. LOL  

@Bookplate wrote

I binged all four episodes already on Passport.  What an absolute outrage that was.  If this story doesn't make you furious you are not paying attention!  I was glad to read that this dramatization of the gross miscarriage of justice has had a positive outcome in raising awareness and and forcing more resolutions.  

Super Contributor

I hadn't heard anything about it so I am glad I clicked on this thread!! Thank you for mentioning this PBS series. I will be looking forward to seeing it.
Super Contributor

Wonderful and thank you @azgal for the Bank of Dave recommendation, I'll add it to my on-going list. Looks like a strong cast with Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey) and Naomi Battrick (Jamestown) to name a few.

Thanks again!

@azgal wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@azgal    I loved Bank of Dave.  Delightful.  I only saw the second episode of Mr, Bates v. post office but I've set to record the rest and I found the first episode on demand.  What a great show.  I was outraged at what these families went through