Valued Contributor

Re: PBS - Masterpiece presents Breathless on Sunday, Aug. 24th

On 9/7/2014 occasional rain said:

What was decided in January may be reexamined now if it got good ratings. Anyone know if it did?

These are the UK ratings, from a Radio Times article on the cancellation, "Breathless began in October 2013 with a consolidated audience of 4.4 million which dropped to 2.7 million by the end of its six-part run." Our PBS edited the 6 to 3 episodes. I couldn't find any US ratings for Breathless.

Honored Contributor

On 9/8/2014 2cockers1cat said:
On 9/7/2014 occasional rain said:

What was decided in January may be reexamined now if it got good ratings. Anyone know if it did?

These are the UK ratings, from a Radio Times article on the cancellation, "Breathless began in October 2013 with a consolidated audience of 4.4 million which dropped to 2.7 million by the end of its six-part run." Our PBS edited the 6 to 3 episodes. I couldn't find any US ratings for Breathless.

Thanks for the info, guess it's not coming back.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend that lives in England, and she did not like it, and never finished watching it!

I really enjoyed it, but then again, what do we Americans know, LOL!

Honored Contributor

I hated the ending. I felt sorry for Otto. Oh, well. I'm a little confused. Was the black guy her husband? presumed dead?and had we seen him in the beginning? And do you think Otto's wife really has been in love with him all this time? I really did like it when Otto told the inspector go ahead and spill the beans. Tell everyone. He called his bluff. Also was confused what the inspector's problem was-did he lose it when his child was drowned? Like, did he go 'round the bend? Otherwise I cannot imagine what that had to do with the so called 'crime'.

But all this said I'd love to see it come back and to see more of Jack Davenport.

Occasional Contributor

Well, if it was cut from 6 shows to 3, I can't imagine how we even made sense of what we saw. That's ridiculous. PBS seems to cut at least 10 minutes of Masterpiece shows when they air over here, so if you add that to the missing three shows, it's a wonder we even got to know the characters. Hated the ending, but had it continued, maybe some of the story lines would have had an ending. Like...I wonder where the body is.

Esteemed Contributor

So, I finally got my episodes straightened out and watched all three. They can't leave it like that, can they?

What's with all these programs leaving us in the lurch?

Grrrr!

. LM
Trusted Contributor

Judaline--Found it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I thought the same thing about Catherine Steadman, the actress who played Angela--she reminded me of Natalie Wood as well. Beautiful woman!

I agree with the others who were disappointed with the ending. In fact, the whole series was a bit lackluster to me. It had promise, but I kept waiting for something to happen...and it never really did. They kept bringing new threads into the story without really developing them much. The Cyprus incident was the only real mystery, and frankly it didn't peak my interest that much. Perhaps if we'd seen all six episodes, there it would have been better; on the other hand; six episodes at that pace would not have kept my interest. *sigh* I so wanted to like it better!