Esteemed Contributor

Re: PBS - Masterpiece - Sunday, Jan. 12th

Seems like I've viewed Howards End years ago. Is this a new version of a movie or series? Loved it. Thanks

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

I was a bit disappointed in Sanditon.  As someone pointed out, there is only one season since it was not picked up in the UK.  I'll probably watch the remaining episodes.  Also, they had a preview of Beechum House which is coming soon to our PBS station.  It's another one that ran for only one season in the U.K. and was canceled.  I'll give it a try.

Honored Contributor

Yes Howard's End was a movie several years ago with Anthony Hopkins and several other good actors, but I also enjoyed Masterpiece's version last night!

I was so mad, I only got to see about 45 min. of Sanditon last night, our power went off and didn't come back on until it had ended, I have read pros and cons about it, but I am willing to stick in there!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found Howard's End sort of dry and slow moving. Might not pursue this one. I enjoyed Sanditon. As for it being 'cancelled' I'm not sure I understand. It is based on Jane Austin's unfinished novel. Supposedly, they wrote what they thought was an appropriate end for the novel, made some changes as to how it was presented and filmed a mini-series. I'm not sure there was ever any expectation that it would go on and on. I'll probably watch whatever there is of it if the remaining episodes don't disappoint, The first two, shown back to back, were entertaining. Worth seeing just to watch the quite handsome Theo James cavorting in the water...

Related image

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I set up a recording for "Howards End," but nothing happened. I'll try to catch it if it's repeated this week.

_

Perhaps set up your recording under the record title of "Masterpiece."  (I learned this when I had trouble finding Downton Abbey)

Respected Contributor

@stevieb 

I agree.  Howard's End was a slow-moving story.  It took a while to figure out the story line.

Sandition had a lot of "saucy" encounters going on throughout the two hours!  It held my interest the entire time.  

Honored Contributor

Howard's End was odd and not in a good way. It seemed choppy, like it was poorly/overly edited.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to see all of Theo.. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Howard's End was odd and not in a good way. It seemed choppy, like it was poorly/overly edited.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to see all of Theo.. 

@occasionalrain  I'll say... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...