Honored Contributor

PBS AMERICAN MASTERS: "ITZHAK" ~ documentary

[ Edited ]
           I just watched this documentary and was so deeply moved by it that I wanted to recommend it to anyone interested.   Such a gifted man, unmistakably brilliantly talented but also filled with passion, joy, and remarkable warmth.   
           You'll find this film in the PBS American Masters series, so check your local listings.

Here's an excerpt from tvweeklynow.com's summary:

"From Schubert to Strauss, Bach to Brahms, Mozart to…Billy Joel, Itzhak Perlman’s violin playing transcends mere performance to evoke the celebrations and struggles of real life. Director Alison Chernick’s ... new documentary provides an intimate, cinéma vérité look at the remarkable life and career of this musician, widely considered the world’s greatest violinist.

The film looks beyond the 16-time Grammy-winning musician to see the polio survivor whose parents emigrated from Poland to Israel, and the young man who struggled to be taken seriously as a music student when schools saw only his disability. In the film, Perlman’s life story unfolds through conversations with fellow musicians and friends, including Billy Joel, Alan Alda, pianist Martha Argerich, cellist Mischa Maisky, and his wife of 50 years, Toby.  The Perlmans dedicate their lives to their large Jewish family in New York City, shared love for music and continual support of young musicians. American Masters: Itzhak is a portrait of musical virtuosity that explores themes of Jewish identity, Jewish history, humor and love.

“I wanted the viewer to experience what makes Itzhak special rather than be told so through a series of talking heads,” said Chernick. “The sound Itzhak generates comes from his heart and flows through his hands. Through this film, we come to realize how extraordinary this process really is.”... "

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: PBS AMERICAN MASTERS: "ITZHAK" ~ documentary

[ Edited ]

Itzhak Perlman Plays "Theme From Schindler’s List"

Clip: ​American Masters ​Season 32 Episode 9 | 2m 57s

"Violinist Itzhak Perlman plays the theme from Schindler’s List for Amnon Weinstein as they discuss the importance of the violin for Jewish people in Nazi internment camps."

https://www.pbs.org/video/itzhak-perlman-plays-theme-schindlers-list-kligwo/

​~~~​

Itzhak Trailer​ and About the Film​

Preview: ​American Masters ​Season 32 Episode 9

"This inspiring new documentary provides an intimate and unprecedented look into the remarkable life of Itzhak Perlman, widely considered the world’s greatest violinist."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: PBS American Masters: Itzhak ~ documentary

@dooBdoo.  I didn't know this was on, but Iv'e been a fan a long time.  Sometimes PBS repeats these so I'll watch for it

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I was fortunate to see him on stage just once -  he was mesmerizing.

I must/will find the documentary. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. Yes he’s mesmerizing.

Honored Contributor

Re: PBS AMERICAN MASTERS: "ITZHAK" ~ documentary

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624,  I've long been a fan, too.  I hope you'll find re-airings in your area -- I see a few listed here, and there probably will be more, but then we're lucky enough to have 5 different PBS stations available.😊

@millieshops,  Yes!  Mesmerizing!   Perfect description.   How fortunate that you saw him perform in person -- I'd love to do that.😊

@OKPrincess,  You're welcome.😊

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@dooBdoo.  I didn't know this was on, but Iv'e been a fan a long time.  Sometimes PBS repeats these so I'll watch for it

@Kachina624

It's on On Demand.  Also, you may be able to watch on the PBS website as well as YouTube.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

It's on On Demand.  Also, you may be able to watch on the PBS website as well as YouTube.

You're right, @Mz iMac, it's available in my Comcast On Demand listings!  @Kachina624,  I didn't even think to look there.    Thanks!😊

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo, thanks for the reminder! I have the season pass to American Masters, so I'm sure it recorded. I'll try to watch it tonight while relaxing. 

Looking more forward to it after reading your description! ❤️

Honored Contributor

Thanks @dooBdoo. @Mz iMac.  I found it on a PBS website.  They have full episodes of the masters to which you can listen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment