Honored Contributor

PAUL NEWMAN TRIPLE PLUS FEATURE WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Cool Hand Luke"   Paul Newman, George Kennedy, J.D. Cannon, Strother Martin

10:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Harper"  Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall, Shelley Winters, Julie Harris, Robert Wagner, Janet Leigh

12:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Paris Blues"  Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Joanne Woodward, Louis Armstrong, Diahann Carroll

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PAUL NEWMAN TRIPLE PLUS FEATURE WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  Thanks for another heads up about upcoming movies on TCM.  Paris Blues is one of those movies you don't hear much about when great film lists are done, but it's an incredible film.  The four leading cast members (Newman, Sidney Poitier, Joanne Woodward, and Diahann Carroll) deliver solid performances. I also think it is one of director Martin Ritt's best works.  Along with No Down Payment, it's not usually on the short list of recollections of Ritt's work, but both are high on my list of all-time favorite films.   

Honored Contributor

Newman always came through with his movies and those eyes, so blue!!!!!  

Around Easter time when they show the biblical movies I watched the Silver Chalice which Newman was in.  I read he was not proud of that movie at all and in fact called it one of his worst.  To be honest, I watch those type movies when they are offered on TCM but Newman was right.  He didn't shine in that role at all in my opinion!!!!!  I believe it may have been his first role.

However, Newman was always a movie star in every sense of the words.  He came through in his roles and entertained and is now a part of movie history.  Thanks for the heads up, Oznell, I will check TCM out to DVR Paris Blues which I like.

Honored Contributor

@Trix, thanks for shining light on "Paris Blues".  Agreed!  Those terrific performers, plus a winning jazz score, plus deft directing, plus Paris--  how can you lose!

On a minor note, it's fun to see Joanne Woodward and Diahann Carroll in all their early Sixties' fashion, accessories, etc.  They were both so young and pretty...

Honored Contributor

Going off now to set it up for Paris Blues to record.  I have never seen this film, and it captures my fancy.

Respected Contributor

Oh my heart be still. What a hunk!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I met Paul Newman when he was campaigning for Robert Kennedy, he was so nice & eager to speak with each person to say Thanks for being involved. A great actor, a kind person & oh those blue eyes.

Honored Contributor

Paul Newman was so gorgeous, and more importantly such a charitable man.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

in luck just started while going down. Never saw it. He is so good looking-paul.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Going off now to set it up for Paris Blues to record.  I have never seen this film, and it captures my fancy.

Ah, great movie, especially (almost have to appreciate Jazz____)))))  

Paris Blues actually wasn't what (some of the USA masses) thought of quality, the raw natural talent of {all musician} in and with club dives..................

[Jazz Club Stage]

..........   accepting what would be called prejudice in the 60s /

American vs Paris accepting a total different lifestyle in 'real' life, watching movies - this movie.

The two musicians had to make Paris their home to play with different skin color.

The best of Jazz is when you hear each other play off of each other. A different time -unusual type of camaraderie.

Some romance, some comedy. You'll love the scenery.

I do love Paris. Nothing like here. I appreciate that Europe embraces the music that we have. 

A note of info: if loving your dog, you can have her/ him at your feet, under the table while dining. 

I never did follow the masses' opinions- pure & simple.

BUT! Certainly understand there's little Jazz until the end. Newman and Poitier gave a good mimicking of their respective horns.

Europe always appreciated and still, today, loves the finer art of music. I knew that from my Jazz Artist ( music in everything) husband.

There IS (1) pianist that plays...hope you get to listen to him - Aaron Bridgers.   AND! Who makes the THIS movie  Academy score` great  was DUKE ELLINGTON's music ( not seen), but movie became stronger was Louis/ Louie Armstrong actually playing. Later on tonight.