Honored Contributor

PATSY AND LORETTA - LIFETIME MOVIE

I forgot about it last night, but it is on again tonight.  Did anyone watch it and, if so, what is your review?

Honored Contributor

Re: PATSY AND LORETTA - LIFETIME MOVIE

@mousiegirl. I saw the second half of it only because I thought it started at 9 pm so I missed the first hour. Thanks for the info that it is repeated tonight so I'll watch the first hour.

It was OK not great. The Patsy actress was a much better singer and actress than Loretta. In fact she was a fabulous singer. I wondered if the scriptwriters really exaggerated their friendship which in the movie fell just short of a lesbian relationship, although seeing the first hour may change my perception. I didn't get much sense of either of their husbands who, in the second hour didn't have much air time. Both women expressed problems in their marriages and being unhappy with their husbands.
The air crash was sad but you just see them flying off and the next thing is the funeral. You don't see Loretta getting the sad news. Just knowing it already which wasn't as dramatic as it could have been.
IMO so far it is a C or maybe C plus film but I certainly could change my mind after I watch the first half tonight.

Honored Contributor

I fell asleep....it was so boring....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@mousiegirl. I saw the second half of it only because I thought it started at 9 pm so I missed the first hour. Thanks for the info that it is repeated tonight so I'll watch the first hour.

It was OK not great. The Patsy actress was a much better singer and actress than Loretta. In fact she was a fabulous singer. I wondered if the scriptwriters really exaggerated their friendship which in the movie fell just short of a lesbian relationship, although seeing the first hour may change my perception. I didn't get much sense of either of their husbands who, in the second hour didn't have much air time. Both women expressed problems in their marriages and being unhappy with their husbands.
The air crash was sad but you just see them flying off and the next thing is the funeral. You don't see Loretta getting the sad news. Just knowing it already which wasn't as dramatic as it could have been.
IMO so far it is a C or maybe C plus film but I certainly could change my mind after I watch the first half tonight.

@Pearlee  Thank you.   I have the dvds of Sweet Dreams about Patsy Cline's life starring Jessica Lange, really enjoyed it, and of course, Coalminer's Daughter, so was wondering if I should even bother watching this, don't think it could be better than those two films, but may watch for a while, other favorite programs tonight are on so will see.

Honored Contributor

It's definitely not as good as Coalminer's D. Havent seen the Lange film
Honored Contributor

We watched the movie last night; it doesn’t compare to Coalminer’s Daughter. The lady who acted/sang Patsy’s part was superb and Loretta’s fell short.

The movie showed both husband’s to be more abusive alcoholics than they probably were and not as instrumental in helping their wives’ careers.

But terribly spoiled by Coalminer’s Daughter.

Once was enough for us.

Respected Contributor

No, from what i could see it doesn't come close to CMD and Sweet dreams.

The actress who played Patsy was good, it appeared she was singing.  

i watched about 20 minutes and got a phone call, so i'll watch tonite.  while talking on the phone  i had it on mute for the first hour and noticed a lot of what looked like hollering, pushing,  throwing things and yelling between the spouses. i'm certain PAtsy and Loretta clashed with their husbands but perhaps this could have been toned down for the movie.

Respected Contributor

I, too, only saw the second half.  Recogized Patsy's house from "Sweet dreams," so that part was authentic.  I thought it was okay for a Lifetime movie.  Hoping to catch the first half.

Super Contributor

I just finished watching. I agree with others who said the actress who played Patsy was very good. The one who played Loretta, not so much. 

In all fairness, my mind kept comparing the Loretta actress to Sissy Spacek who played Loretta in coal miners daughter. No comparison, Sissy was the best.

I'm glad I watched it, if I saw it on again I wouldn't stop and watch. I give it a C.

Trusted Contributor

I missed the first half and will catch it tonight. Just an FYI, the actress who played Loretta is Jesse Mueller, a Broadway actress (as is Megan Hilty) who won a Tony for playing Carole King in the musical Beautiful, so both women can certainly sing - just maybe not the style you were hoping for.