Honored Contributor

PATRICIA NEAL FAN-ZARAMA TUESDAY PRIMETIME EASTERN TCM

Yay, on Tuesday from 8:00 p.m. Eastern on, some choice classic and off-beat Pat Neal selections.

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Subject Was Roses".  Patricia Neal, Jack Albertson, Martin Sheen

Soldier (Martin Sheen) returns from war to his home, only to find his parents at odds with each other, and an uneasy atmosphere.  Have to confess, gang, I've never watched this.  This sort of "family problem drama" doesn't really appeal to me, and for some reason it has always sounded to me like it's sort of turgid and depressing.

But others love it, so pay me no mind!  It's significant b/c it's the first film Patricia Neal returned to after struggling mightily with the massive stroke she suffered. She was Oscar-nominated, as were the other talented cast members.

This ultra-short documentary on Patricia Neal sounds really good:

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Pat Neal Is Back"

Deals with Ms. Neal's return to films and I believe has on- set interviews with her colleagues on "The Subject Was Roses".   A real behind the scenes look at a woman's courageous struggle and triumphant comeback!

10:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Psyche 59".  Patricia Neal, Curt Jurgens, Samantha Eggar, Ian Bannen.

This sudsy British thriller I can't wait to record!  Think I saw part of it ages ago.  Patricia Neal is married to Curt Jurgens, but has suffered some sort of psychosomatic blindess years earlier.  The arrival of her volatile, seductive younger sister, in the form of flame-haired Samantha Eggar (uh-oh, we can see this trouble coming a mile off!) sparks some unsettling events in the household-- leading to more and more revelations...  And of course there's an attractive old family friend hanging around, presumably to pick up the pieces....

Doesn't it sound juicy?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PATRICIA NEAL FAN-ZARAMA TUESDAY PRIMETIME EASTERN TCM

@Oznell 

I'm a huge fan of Ms. Neal.  Her performances had such richness.

Favorites are "Face in the Crowd" -- on the other night and I've seen it many times.  Never gets old!  Just a fab movie.

Hud is another favorite -- a smaller part, but so earthy and wonderful.  

I saw the trailer for Psyche 59 the other day and I was transfixed!  Never heard of it...and it looked wild and strange for that era.  

Love her in anything, really, but know very little about her.

Thanks for the notice...I will try to catch at least one!  We are dinosaurs with no way to record  Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Talented. Talented. Talented.

Honored Contributor

Oh agreed, @Witchy Woman and @qbetzforreal !  She's unique.  She brings such an interesting, luminous quality to the screen...

I love her in "Hud" and "A Face in the Crowd" also, and of course her high-glamour role in "The Fountainhead".  Even as a fairly green newcomer, she had that indefinable "something".

She was in a couple of noir films I'd like to see too.  And less seriously, this upcoming "Psyche 59" sounds like a 'guilty-pleasure' soapsville entertainer, for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Oh, I forgot Fountainhead!   It was just on...

Her and that riding whip watching Gary Cooper!

Wowza, she was a force of nature!

Esteemed Contributor

I found this photo of her.  Perfection!

Patricia Neal | 1950

Respected Contributor

Wonderful actress, such a life force, so innately sensuous and sexy. Beautiful classy woman. I liked The Subject Was Roses, but I like dark movies.

Psyche 59 sounds very familiar. I'll give it a look.

@Oznell thanks as always.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Womanand @IMW ,  your descriptions of her are so apt-- "life force" and "force of nature".

Beautiful picture you found, @Witchy Woman !   She could look so different, from photo to photo.