Honored Contributor

PASSION FISH ON TCM -LOVE THIS FILM! Wed 1:45 a.m.

[ Edited ]

The bad news: it's on at 1:45 a.m. ET Wednesday on TMC so you'll probably need to record it. 

It's from 1992 and stars Mary McDonnell, Alfre Woodard and David ❤ Strathairn.  Written and directed by the wonderful John Sayles.

Ii is about a soap opera star who gets paralyzed from the waist down and can't work any more and moves from NYC back to her home in the middle of nowhere in Louisiana. She needs an aide to help her but she is really nasty and goes through a lot of them until Alfre Woodard stands up to her nastiness and is hired. Straithairn is her attractive school classmate, a Cajun handyman with 5 or 6 kids and a wife who became a religious fanatic. All these characters are wonderful as is the Louisiana setting and oh, the music! I just love this "sleeper" film and have recommended it before on the board.

Honored Contributor

Re: PASSION FISH ON TCM -LOVE THIS FILM! Wed 1:45 a.m.

@Pearlee  Never heard of this movie.  Thanks for the synopsis.  Will have to tape it.  I checked & TCM will NOT be repeating the movie "this month."

Thanks for heads up!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Pearlee  Never heard of this movie.  Thanks for the synopsis.  Will have to tape it.  I checked & TCM will NOT be repeating the movie "this month."

Thanks for heads up!

@Mz iMac  It is only rarely shown on TV.   I'm really excited that you want to record and watch it. I really think you will like it a lot. Please do let me know what you think once you get a chance to watch it. 🙂

ETA: A person has a small role in the film. It was early in her career and she later became a big star. I'll let it be a surprise.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee I remember this movie. It's wonderful!!

Honored Contributor

Just saw your post.

I just checked it is not on Watch TCM. Sorry I missed it. Maybe since they bought the rights, it will be shown at another time.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention I watched this at 1:45 a.m. this morning. It was about  two and a quarter hours long so I went to sleep around 4:00 a.m.  Worth it though because I hadn't seen it in a long time. Really like the music.

@golding76  Have you ever seen this? If you liked Crossing Delancey so much you might like this film too.