Honored Contributor

Oznell - Eddie Muller at AFI Theatre

My son just told me the Eddie Muller is going to be at the AFI Silver Theatre this weekend. Beginning Friday night through Sunday. He is going to be introducing the films and one film there will be a discussion. My son asked me if I wanted to go.

Not sure if I want to go. It will be at least a 4 hour drive and through Baltimore and Washington. Traffic is so congested and there always seems to be an accident or back up. My son has made the trip a number of times and has missed the program because of traffic troubles. 

What to do, What to do. I am so tempted to go and deal with whatever I encounter.

Respected Contributor

Re: Oznell - Eddie Muller at AFI Theatre

I do not know who he is, but my thought is any time there is a special show you really want to see--GO!

You never know how long a performer will be around.

The everlasting special memory will be worth all the hassles.

Or, make it a splurge and stay overnight and have a nice meal.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not familiar with the speaker but I am very familiar with the Silver theater (was my local movie theater; saw"Love Me Tender"in elementary school).  There is a Hilton or Sheraton literally feet away from entrance, so to spend the night and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

FancyPhillyShopper - Eddie Mueller is a host on TCM (Turner Classic Movie Channel). He is quite an expert on film noir. And his group has restored many of the old film noir movies.

The man is so knowledgeable. I know I will learn something about whatever he will talk about.

And by the way I live outside Philly. So I will have the pleasure of taking 95 all the way down to Silver Spring, MD. Thanks for your input.

Esteemed Contributor

Fun fact:  Ben Stein was instrumental in saving the Silver and getting it converted to AFI use.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Fun fact:  Ben Stein was instrumental in saving the Silver and getting it converted to AFI use.

Really!?!?

That is so interesting. Thanks for passing that information on. It makes sense, he grew up in Silver Spring, MD. I have not heard much about Ben Stein since the TV show "Win Ben Stein's Money". 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla : Ben was in my H.S.  class and has always been a big supporter of S.S.  He was a Nixon speechwriter shortly after he got out of law school (and many though, until proved otherwise, that he was Deep Throat).

Honored Contributor

Wow, @drizzellla, what an opportunity for you and your son!   I have no doubt if you go, you'll have a fantastic time-- Eddie is so entertaining, passionate and knowledgeable.

Is it going to be a mini-festival of noir?  Do you know what films?  

How fab.  I fully understand your temptation! 

Honored Contributor

That's so interesting about Ben Stein being from Silver Spring, Maryland, @patbz.   That makes sense.   Wasn't his father a very big deal economist in Washington?  I seem to recall that.  And of course, Ben is a financial wizard too.

I used to love reading Ben Stein's regular column in "The American Spectator".   It was a nutty, hilarious take on living in southern California (which he was at the time.)  Such a talented, versatile guy.  

Honored Contributor

Patbz,

I have many happy memories of the Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, Md.  

Decades ago, it was the movie house for presenting prestigious foreign films and dated greats of the American cinema.

The first time I saw Wuthering Heights was at the Silver Theatre.  I bawled my head off and had to be mopped off the floor before I departed from the place.  As though it were yesterday, I can still feel the heavy sadness that fell upon me at the moment Heathcliff and Cathy returned to the moors at the end of the film.