Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

With a record of 0-8 Glenn Close is now officially tied with Peter O'Toole for the most acting nominations with no win.

There's still a chance.  Jessica Tandy won at the age of nearly 82 and Kate Hepburn won her last at age 74.

@Johnnyeager 

Perhaps her agent could start a rumor.  Something about a terminal illness.  Might speed things up.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

It was better than I expected.  Enjoyed Tyler Perry's unifying speech.  Glad a lot of the glamour was back.  

Respected Contributor

I am still waiting for my Brad Pitt moment but it seems as if he likes old ladies so....

Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars on 4/25

[ Edited ]

@Highlands72 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Will Glenn Close ever win an Oscar?

@Jordan2 

Like Peter O'Toole, she will be overlooked until she receives the obligatory Honorary Oscar.

Which could be thought of as a gold plated insult.

----

This is how I feel about Barbara Stanwyck, who gets my vote for best actress to never win an Oscar. Honorary, my arse.

@Highlands72 

I agree a terrific actor and she chose some great scripts too which showcased her talent, but she was ignored....I think a lot of voting has to do with "cliques" within the Academy......so many good actors have been snubbed over the years

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was my favorite actor. He was a super actor, and I never saw him in a movie he didn't make better. He had such a great talent, and I'm always reading anything controversial why he committed suicide. 

He did have a drug problem and had beat it for years and years. He chose movies I liked and had a lot of depth. No one can replace him for me. 

Respected Contributor

@patbz   My memory is that in some of the past year's memoriums, with some people they would go slow and with others they'd just fly by.  That I always thought was disrepectful.  

I saw a lot of complaints online about the "peppy" "upbeat" song that was played as background to this years in memorium.  Personally I loved this song and was quite moved.  If anyone is familiar with it, the lyrics and the sentiment are both very beautiful and respectful.

AS - Stevie Wonder  (some of the lyrics)

As around the sun the earth knows she's revolving
And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May
Just as hate knows love's the cure
You can rest your mind assure
That I'll be loving you always
As now can't reveal the mystery of tomorrow
But in passing will grow older every day
Just as all is born is new
Do know what I say is true

Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky (Always)
Until the ocean covers every mountain high (Always)
Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea (Always)
Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream

Did you know that true love asks for nothing
Her acceptance is the way we pay
Did you know that life has given love a guarantee
To last through forever and another day
Just as time knew to move on since the beginning
And the seasons know exactly when to change
Just as kindness knows no shame
Know through all your joy and pain

Esteemed Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@patbz   My memory is that in some of the past year's memoriums, with some people they would go slow and with others they'd just fly by.  That I always thought was disrepectful.  

I saw a lot of complaints online about the "peppy" "upbeat" song that was played as background to this years in memorium.  Personally I loved this song and was quite moved.  If anyone is familiar with it, the lyrics and the sentiment are both very beautiful and respectful.

AS - Stevie Wonder  (some of the lyrics)

As around the sun the earth knows she's revolving
And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May
Just as hate knows love's the cure
You can rest your mind assure
As now can't reveal the mystery of tomorrow
But in passing will grow older every day
Just as all is born is new
Do know what I say is true

Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky (Always)
Until the ocean covers every mountain high (Always)
Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea (Always)
Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream

Did you know that true love asks for nothing
Her acceptance is the way we pay
Did you know that life has given love a guarantee
To last through forever and another day
Just as time knew to move on since the beginning
And the seasons know exactly when to change
Just as kindness knows no shame
Know through all your joy and pain

One of my favorites by Steveland Wonder!  I love all his music but this one just does it for me.  Do you recall any of his early work, like My Cherie Amour, Signed Sealed Delivered?  Isn't She Lovely and so on?

Big Stevie Wonder fan!  Thank you for sharing the lyrics to the song @moonandthestars . 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset   Of course I know those songs!  All great Smiley Happy   I think my favorite of Stevie's albums is Innervisions.  Do you know that one?  (you can check it on amazon or itunes, or?)  It's filled with amazing songs, imo.  Love that song they played at the oscars, As, which now has new depth for me.