Esteemed Contributor

The falloff in Oscar telecast viewership has been pretty precipitous, probably for a combination of reasons.  I predict this year will be abysmal at sub-20 million. We'll see.

2020: 23.6 million, Parasite (No host)
2019: 29.6 million, Green Book (No host)
2018:  26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017:  32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016:  34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015:  37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014:  43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013:  40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012:  39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011:  37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010:  41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)

Respected Contributor

I'll watch, altho  i know there will be changes due to the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars on 4/25

[ Edited ]

I can tune out any political agendas, I'm watching for the clothes and jewelry.

I've been seeing some of the fashions on the E! network.  As much as I would love to be as trim and fit as some of these lovely ladies, I feel the dresses with yards of flowing skirt are swallowing them up.  I guess this is what is meant by 'the dress wearing the girl'?   

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I can tune out any political agendas, I'm watching for the clothes and jewelry.

I like the whole thing ( clothes, jewelry, winners, the occasional speech).  This year will be interesting just to see how differently they do it during pandemic.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The falloff in Oscar telecast viewership has been pretty precipitous, probably for a combination of reasons.  I predict this year will be abysmal at sub-20 million. We'll see.

2020: 23.6 million, Parasite (No host)
2019: 29.6 million, Green Book (No host)
2018:  26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017:  32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016:  34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015:  37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014:  43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013:  40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012:  39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011:  37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010:  41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)

@Johnnyeager  I agree that this year's telecast will have low

numbers.

I am guessing so many have not seen the movies and performances as they are on paid streaming services that are not available for many.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1. @stevieb wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting 1st Amendment rights do not apply to Hollywood. That said, it also seems many folks have already expressed their intent not to tune in to the actual awards, so the whole 'then don't watch' mantra is really unnecessary, it would seem. On the other hand, most folks with opinions don't have a built in venue, complete with free air time, like an awards show, to spout their views, making the leaping assumption that anyone cares or is actually watching to hear the pearls of alleged wisdom falling forth from their overpaid mouths. As for putting their money where their mouth is, I tend to think not. Rare is the acceptance speech that veers too far away from Hollywood's preferred and predictable stance, posture, position or bearing. Nope, no real risk taking going on there.

@stevieb 

Well said! 👏👏👏

@stevieb 

I like to do my own research on the issues and make my own decisions. I don't blindly buy into anything a celebrity says.  And I don't think it's the proper format to express their opinions the purpose is to honor performances or work in the motion picture arts.......

You can tell when the Gollywood folks just parent "the mantra" because if an interviewer asks them a question about the topic they are clueless.(if one is going to sprew their beliefs in front of lots of people then you need to do your research on the topic!)... And it's the old ---do as I say not as I do----They will preach one thing and do another just for the publicity ....some say they are an environmentalist yet fly on their private jets all over, and take a gas guzzling limo instead of driving their own electric car...hmmmmm

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

Those in the film industry are entitled to their First Amendent right just like you and me.  The last time I checked, you were still able to voice an opinion in this country.

I know that I sure have heard all sorts of opinions in the last few years that I did not agree with.

Those that get so rattled hearing others speak, whose ideology you do not subscribe to, do turn off or do not watch the offensive show and find something else to do.

------------------

I stopped watching award shows seveal years ago!!  To my eye, it is not that the speeches are offensive nor do they get me rattled. But these award shows are not the place to carry on about ideology - wrong place/wrong time!  This show is about praising the 'wonderful' acting, directing and screen writing.  The speeches should focus on the reason they are there!

That said, I looked at the website showing Oscar

clothing and only recognized one person!!  And I have never heard of any of the movies up for awards!!

Respected Contributor

I couldn't stand watching the red carpet pre-awards program on E.  Seemed silly that Giuliana was up on a podium and she seemed to be shouting down at whoever she was talking to. Seemed like they were 15ft. or more away from her.  Kinda silly and annoying.

I then switched to the network's pre-oscar ceremony festivities, and some of the men really turned it out with their suits, but just kinda ho hum with the women I saw, and by the way, other than Glenn Close, I didn't really see anyone I knew or cared about seeing.

So I couldn't keep watching that either.  I was so bored.  A few good singers, but again, I have no idea who they are or what song goes with what since I have not seen any movies this year other than oldies on TCM or one of my standard cable channels. 

So no awards ceremonies for me tonight.  Maybe next year....

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Is anyone else as bored out of their minds as I am? I usually stick with The Oscars till the end usually midnight or later, I'm going to bed at 11:00. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting 1st Amendment rights do not apply to Hollywood. That said, it also seems many folks have already expressed their intent not to tune in to the actual awards, so the whole 'then don't watch' mantra is really unnecessary, it would seem. On the other hand, most folks with opinions don't have a built in venue, complete with free air time, like an awards show, to spout their views, making the leaping assumption that anyone cares or is actually watching to hear the pearls of alleged wisdom falling forth from their overpaid mouths. As for putting their money where their mouth is, I tend to think not. Rare is the acceptance speech that veers too far away from Hollywood's preferred and predictable stance, posture, position or bearing. Nope, no real risk taking going on there.

@stevieb 

By putting their money where their mouth is I was referring to customers.  I have heard people on this forum say they would not go to Merle Streep movie because of her politics.  I think some entertainers and companies hide their political beliefs so they don't lose customers.