Honored Contributor

Movies that came out were available for a price On Demand.....  Here in Texas one theater chain did finally open....my sister, the movie buff, saw a lot of the movies and said most had a serious social message---she liked a couple of them....

I stopped watching the Oscars when it became too political...now I just wait the next day and check on the internet to see the clothes that were worn.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Uhg... Enough with the 'serious social messages'. It begins to appear that movie and television producers could save themsevles a lot of money by scrapping the expensive productions and just buying themselves a pulpit and air time on cable access... Personally, I'm pretty fed up with it and am no longer drinking their Kool Aid...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars on 4/25

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  Uhg... Enough with the 'serious social messages'. It begins to appear that movie and television producers could save themsevles a lot of money by scrapping the expensive productions and just buying themselves a pulpit and air time on cable access... Personally, I'm pretty fed up with it and am no longer drinking their Kool Aid...

@stevieb 

Your exactly right....I get enough "preaching" and "scolding" on the news shows and don't need it from Gollywood.... That's why I like movies from the 40's here they were dealing with World War II they still had some uplifting war movies, but they also had well written, well acted, and entertaining movies to take people's minds off what was happening in the world....

And TV sitcoms "jumped the shark" too, when the scripts revolved around social issues instead of just good comedy....now they look outdated and irrelevant while the true "classic comedies" still live on....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt  To me, it's pure arrogance that they think their message is THE one THE only right one and that they think they are the one to impart it to the masses... They take themselves far more seriously than I take them, to be sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I predict that the winner of tonight's Oscar broadcast will be the pre-award show, where we see the gowns and watch a few interviews. I saw none of the movies and know only a few of the actors. I won't be watching.

I did hear about this year's films being quite serious, with social messages. What I would have preferred was some escapist fare. So, I watched lots of movies made in the 1930s, which was the depth of the Depression. I think movie-makers got it right in those days. People's lives were dreary at best during those years. They needed a way to escape the reality of the time. Yes, there were great films like "The Grapes of Wrath," but Fred and Ginger sure did brighten things up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

I predict that the winner of tonight's Oscar broadcast will be the pre-award show, where we see the gowns and watch a few interviews. I saw none of the movies and know only a few of the actors. I won't be watching.

I did hear about this year's films being quite serious, with social messages. What I would have preferred was some escapist fare. So, I watched lots of movies made in the 1930s, which was the depth of the Depression. I think movie-makers got it right in those days. People's lives were dreary at best during those years. They needed a way to escape the reality of the time. Yes, there were great films like "The Grapes of Wrath," but Fred and Ginger sure did brighten things up.

@Vivian 

ITA...and not only movies from the 30's and the Depression, but the 40's while they were dealing with WWII....there were movies that picked up people's spirits....

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling vile personalities is quite a judgment of people you don't know. Which nominees have vile personalities that so repel you?

Honored Contributor

I love movies and going to the movies but unfortunately I have not gone because of Covid.  I have not seen any of the nominated films although I am looking forward to seeing Nomadland.  

I don't have any problems with the winners using their acceptance speech to state their "views".  It is kind of like putting your money where your mouth is and I have respect for that no matter what their views are.  

Respected Contributor

Those in the film industry are entitled to their First Amendent right just like you and me.  The last time I checked, you were still able to voice an opinion in this country.

I know that I sure have heard all sorts of opinions in the last few years that I did not agree with.

Those that get so rattled hearing others speak, whose ideology you do not subscribe to, do turn off or do not watch the offensive show and find something else to do.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

I don't think anyone is suggesting 1st Amendment rights do not apply to Hollywood. That said, it also seems many folks have already expressed their intent not to tune in to the actual awards, so the whole 'then don't watch' mantra is really unnecessary, it would seem. On the other hand, most folks with opinions don't have a built in venue, complete with free air time, like an awards show, to spout their views, making the leaping assumption that anyone cares or is actually watching to hear the pearls of alleged wisdom falling forth from their overpaid mouths. As for putting their money where their mouth is, I tend to think not. Rare is the acceptance speech that veers too far away from Hollywood's preferred and predictable stance, posture, position or bearing. Nope, no real risk taking going on there.