Respected Contributor

I don't consider movies on TV Oscar worthy.

I also don't care about 99% of these people, sad that their vile personality came out in public.

I asked one of my acquaintances that knows a few of the old stars and asked why are they like that, he responded that they have so much money it doesn't make any difference to them what they say or do.  I sure didn't expect that answer.  

Respected Contributor

It's official.  I'm old.  I do not know but a handful of these actors and actresses, let alone the 'movies' they were in.  I don't have Netflix or any streaming anything and of course have not been to a theater.

I'll watch the red carpet and hope to see Brad Pitt.  That's about it.  Snoozefest.  Most likely I'll be here on the computer looking at everyone's comments.  Cat LOL

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

The Midnight Sky

Directed by George Clooney

Hillbilly Ellegy

Directed by Ron Howard

The One and Only Ivan

Directed by Thea Sharrock

One Night in Miami

Directed by Regina King

Tenet

Directed by Christopher Nolan

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Directed by Jason Woliner

Over the Moon

Greyhound

Pieces of a Woman

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Mulan

more.........

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I have not seen any of the nominated movies and none of them look worth seeing.  I used to love watching all of the award shows but they have become so political and all about the actors' and announcers' personal views and they are no longer enjoyable.  I no longer watch any of them.  They all have a right to their personal opinions, same as the rest of us, but I don't think they should use these occasions as a platform to air all their views, opinions, gripes, etc.  It should be about the movies and entertainment - period.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Due to Covid I haven't seen any of the movies. I miss the theater experience. Therefore, I don't have any interest in this years Oscars. I will probably tune in for the red carpet & then change the channel.

Super Contributor

I wouldn't watch if they paid me!!

Honored Contributor

About a week ago, I read that this year's Oscars will be "unlike any before".   It will (unbelievably) be LONGER than usual, and will be filmed like a movie, the producers said.

Gone will be the 45 second cap on acceptance speeches--  nominees will now be allowed *more* time to express themselves while accepting at the podium....

Ha!   Just what is needed....   Yet another reason I'll be washing my hair or doing crossword puzzles at the time.

Honored Contributor

I don't care to watch anything with people patting themselves on the back, whether it's Hollywood, or politicians or athletes or musicians. .Obviously I won't be watching.

I saw Hillbilly Elegy.   I have Appalachian roots, I cried through much of it.  I  know those people.  This is the role Glenn Close has been working for all her career.  She is very deserving of the nomination, hope she wins.

Esteemed Contributor
Haven’t seen any of the movies, which is sad for me. I used to go to the movies sometimes every week, it seemed! Really miss it. I know they are mostly readily available at home, but I find it difficult to focus at home. If I do watch something at home, it’s usually not something very deep.

I understand that they are NOT allowing zoom and you have to be there to get your award. I would be interested to see how they do it this year - say it’s going to be like a movie or something.

Also, even though I have not seen either movie, Glenn Close is not the favorite to win. The Minari actress has been gobbling up the recent awards. Obviously anything can happen, but, right now, the only category without a favorite is Best Actress.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

About a week ago, I read that this year's Oscars will be "unlike any before".   It will (unbelievably) be LONGER than usual, and will be filmed like a movie, the producers said.

Gone will be the 45 second cap on acceptance speeches--  nominees will now be allowed *more* time to express themselves while accepting at the podium....

Ha!   Just what is needed....   Yet another reason I'll be washing my hair or doing crossword puzzles at the time.

@Oznell  I didn't think it was possible for me to be LESS interested in the Oscars UNTIL I read your post... You've proven me wrong... I wasn't planning to watch them anyway and now I know I made the right choice... I can only surmise that given awards shows increasingly seem to have run their course, the producers assumed they have nothing to lose, including an audience... That has already dwindled significantly from the Academy's glory days...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...