Honored Contributor

I hate to come across as stupid, but were there any actual new movies this past year, and any that were Oscar worthy?? I cant think of any. Please fill me in, thanks !!!

Honored Contributor

Last time I went to the movies was in 2003.

We were on vacation in FL and it was a rainy afternoon - so we went to the movies.

Obviously, I'm not a movie fan!  

Honored Contributor

I don't know much about any of the movies nominated, I know a little about a couple of them, but did not see any of them, so won't be watching, but I will watch the Red Carpet! 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Where the nominated movies can be seen

• Mank. See at Netflix.
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7. See at Netflix.
  • Sound of Metal. See at Amazon.
  • Nomadland. See at Hulu.
  • Minari. See at Amazon.
  •  
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I hate to come across as stupid, but were there any actual new movies this past year, and any that were Oscar worthy?? I cant think of any. Please fill me in, thanks !!!

There were so few this year that they are probably all nominated in all categories and all will win at least one Oscar! 😆😁😉

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Where the nominated movies can be seen

• Mank. See at Netflix.
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7. See at Netflix.
  • Sound of Metal. See at Amazon.
  • Nomadland. See at Hulu.
  • Minari. See at Amazon.
  •  

Thank you, I get it now, not in theaters. 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I don't know much about any of the movies nominated, I know a little about a couple of them, but did not see any of them, so won't be watching, but I will watch the Red Carpet! 

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I always record the red carpet to watch.   Some years, the outfits are the best part of the event!

I also record the actual show, but usually fast forward through it and watch only a few actual presentations.

I used to go to the movies a lot more, but it seems like most films are only in teaters for a couple weeks ... gone before I could get there.  Since Covid, I doubt anything is open.

Honored Contributor

I'm a huge movie fan. Before we were quarantined DH and I went all of the time.

I haven't seen any of the movies.

I never thought I would say this, but I won't be watching. It will be a bunch of celebrities with $60,000 swag bags in hand proving to each other all night how "woke" they are.

No thank you.  

Esteemed Contributor

I saw Mank and Nomadland on streaming. Mank was hard to watch but enjoyed the costumes and parts shot in Hearst castle. Also enjoyed that part of movie took place in Victorville ( used to live close to there). Really enjoyed Nomadland and have actually been to Quarzite where slot of Snowbird RVers go.  The whole movie was very authentic and true fully depicts what a lot of primarily older Americans are faced with if they are unlucky, under employed or haven't sufficiently planned for their golden years.  Wasn't surprised that some of actual occupants of Quarzite had speaking parts.  Also saw Hillbilly Elegy and hope that Glenn Close finally wins for best supporting actress. Highly recommend this movie!

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I saw Mank and Nomadland on streaming. Mank was hard to watch but enjoyed the costumes and parts shot in Hearst castle. Also enjoyed that part of movie took place in Victorville ( used to live close to there). Really enjoyed Nomadland and have actually been to Quarzite where slot of Snowbird RVers go.  The whole movie was very authentic and true fully depicts what a lot of primarily older Americans are faced with if they are unlucky, under employed or haven't sufficiently planned for their golden years.  Wasn't surprised that some of actual occupants of Quarzite had speaking parts.  Also saw Hillbilly Elegy and hope that Glenn Close finally wins for best supporting actress. Highly recommend this movie!

@patbz I hope that Glenn Close finally wins as well.