Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscars - What Did You Think??

The speeches were better because when there was a group winner only one spoke.  The "parade of the passed on" wasn't good because it was ready ready rushed so much that I felt it was disrespectful.

Honored Contributor

@Gabidog Actually you are mistaken. In WA state over time theaters have been opening, with very limited seating and all precautions taken.

And not all of the movies were in theaters, a couple were on Netflix.

Honored Contributor

This was a snoozefest, it was BORING! They had no host, no clips, no singing, comedy, dance numbers, yet they still ran over 3 hours! I haven't seen what the ratings were last night, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the lowest Oscar show in a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

I also do not understand using "The Pandemic " as some weak kneed excuse or explanation for viewing none of the nominated films.

Every single one of the Best Picture nominees was available to be viewed in the safety and comfort of your own home.  Whether you did or not was of course your choice,  but they were accessible.   

In fact, not just Best Picture nominees,  but nominees in each and every category were viewable without a theater. 

Honored Contributor

I only watched the Red Carpet arrivals to see the clothes and jewelry.  Checked online to see who won the awards.  For me it's simple, if you don't want to hear the speeches, don't watch the show.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I also do not understand using "The Pandemic " as some weak kneed excuse or explanation for viewing none of the nominated films.

Every single one of the Best Picture nominees was available to be viewed in the safety and comfort of your own home.  Whether you did or not was of course your choice,  but they were accessible.   

In fact, not just Best Picture nominees,  but nominees in each and every category were viewable without a theater. 

Of course they were. But not everyone has or can afford mulitple streaming services nor opts to sign up for them merely to see Oscar nominated films. There was so little positive buzz about several of them and the subject matter of some wouldn't be considered universally compelling enough to bother. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Turned it off after the first political speech.

enough. we know.....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have watched very few Oscar shows over the years.  I am not interested in the fashion, the glitz and glamour but I do appreciate the acting of the nominees and all that goes into making a movie. There are great actresses and actors, directors and producers and all deserve Oscars.  

I did watch a few of the nominated pictures and agreed they were Oscar worthy. I saw them on TV so they were accessible.  I thought Gary Oldman was fantastic in Mank and he is definitely among the great actors of today, my opinion.  I love anything McDormand performs in and I like her personality.  

Watching the Oscars is a choice  and if you enjoy that type of show, it is fine. I would assume we all love movies and have our favorites from yesteryear and current and I am grateful for such entertainment. There is a place for movies in  our society and The Oscars honor those who entertain us.

Esteemed Contributor

"The theaters were closed" isn't a valid excuse.  Just say you weren't interested in seeing any of the movies, for whatever reason.  No big deal.  Not worthy of Oscar drama.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

This was a snoozefest, it was BORING! They had no host, no clips, no singing, comedy, dance numbers, yet they still ran over 3 hours! I haven't seen what the ratings were last night, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the lowest Oscar show in a long time.

Yes, this was the lowest Oscar show.  At least, that is what was reported.  I did not watch.