Respected Contributor

Re: Oscars - What Did You Think??

I'm sorry, but I long for the days of Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, William Holden, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, and Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor - so glamorous.  Rosalind Russell, Barbara Stanwyck, and the stars of yesteryear - the classic tuxedo's and the fabulous gowns and talk about jewelry....

This years ceremony held nothing for me.  I don't know any movies, any songs, (although I did hear one woman sing a fantastic song on the ABC preshow), but I don't know who she was or what movie the song was in.  Sad cause she was superb.  I couldn't get thru the pre-shows so I wasn't going to sit for the Oscars. 

I saw some gowns but nothing wowed me but I just didn't keep watching.  Did anyone see Brad Pitt and could they post a picture please?  How about Viggo Mortensen or Benicio Del Toro - were they there?  I sorta doubt it.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I never watch the red carpet or award shows. To political.

Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't thrilled with the format or the fashion. I felt only a couple of the dresses were Oscar worthy.As stated by a previous poster I long for the days of old Hollywood.I loved seeing Elizabeth Taylor & Natalie Wood in their extravagant ball gowns.Paul Newman & Sidney Poitier always looked dashing.

Honored Contributor

I did watch the Red Carpet, I thought the fashions were great. I think people were looking forward to dressing up again and getting all glammed up....I only saw maybe an hour of the actual show, and while it was very different because of the pandemic, it was tastefully done, I thought!

It gave the winners a little more time with their speeches, and it didn't feel so hurried.....The Preshow was great, because you did hear all of the songs nominated and that was really nice as well.... 

Trusted Contributor

I watched about 10minutes,turned the channel.nothing very interesting to me.

Esteemed Contributor

There was a time when I did enjoy the Oscars but I haven't watched in years.  Just cannot take having people that live in a "bubble" go off on the rest of society like they know more than we do.  Anyway, I do like movies but as others stated I couldn't tell you what's been made in the past year.  Sadly, I don't even care about it.  Though I still watch some movies on Netflix and Amazon I am more into the series thing now.

Also I don't really get giving awards to people doing their job. Shouldn't we all get a trophy?!    How about awarding the people that saved the lives of others during the pandemic??  How about that??

Sorry, JMO.....for those who still enjoy it I am happy for you.

Honored Contributor

I kind of liked the setting in Union Station.  We were there last year and it is a majestic old building.  Agree with previous poster about the "old time" actors.  Thank goodness for TCM!  Haven't seen, have no intention of seeing any of the movies nominated except maybe Ma Rainey's.  As for the fashion, from what I saw during the presentations, it was pretty dull.  And does no one have their hair done anymore???  Sloppy, straggley hair was all I saw except for Glenn Close!

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

DId not watch. Good films are not about the Oscars.

----------------

Best observation...ever!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I actually thought it was better this way. Many nationally broadcasted events have been re-invented this year becuase of the pandemic--and MANY are better IMO. The event last night seemed to be more about the movies and acting than in previous years where the focus on "celebrity" seemed to be relatively more prominent. I thought the dresses were slightly better than usual, but that's becuase I think they had gone "down-hill" in the last couple of years. Carey Mulligan and Viola Davis looked particularly wonderful. 

Respected Contributor

When circumstances have made it difficult for us to keep up with the nominations, most probably didn't have solid favorites we were rooting for. We could only hope for some major glam and fun with the awards. It wasn't there. 

I found it boring, and, with the generally flat affects of the guests who were allowed a table, they appeared to feel the same. Except for the moments the camera was highlighting them, they looked like cardboard cutouts. It did not look like a fun place to be. 

I didn't mind the setting of choice. It was attractive and a nice change under the circumstances. Fashions were just okay, but nothing memorable. And the 'fun game' they tried to play was so staged. It all reeked of stuffiness to me. The kind of celebration where you can't wait to get home.  

I sat through the entire event, but at the end, I didn't feel there was a single movie I couldn't wait to watch, of all the nominations.