Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

They brought some of this on themselves.  I have no interest in the award shows.  

Honored Contributor

I've always found the Oscars and most other award shows very boring. I usually watch bits of the show and sometimes the red carpet fashions. I get really sad when they do the memorial to those that have passed and I want to avoid feeling sorry. One year there was an award show on that was interesting. I think it (not sure) was a horror, thriller, sci-fi, award show. The way it was done was so different. I wasn't bored watching it but it's never returned. I do love films though and I'm sad to see the decline in movie attendance. It's like mall shopping. I used to love going. 

Honored Contributor

Pretty much everyone I know under the age of 50 rarely watch network TV. Everyone watches streaming services. I rarely watch anything that isn’t sports-related.
Honored Contributor

I did not watch this year and like many of you have lost my interest.  However the movie that won for best picture I am really interested in seeing...Nomadland. 

I watch a lot of YouTube videos and just recently discovered a van life culture on YouTube.  It's interesting to see how they live and some vans are amazing with custom interiors, etc.

Honored Contributor

We have no interet in movies or tv now, and ours is mostly never on except when the tornado is coming.  We don't even stream much.  

We read, we cook, we wash clothes and do other life tasks.  And oddly, don't miss it.

We do watch reruns of 2.5 men!  

Honored Contributor

even with just under 10 million viewers it will probably STILL be in the top 25 shows of the week. that many live viewers is pretty rare for ANY show or special these days.

i think it really needs a host......or hosts......comedians in particular.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I haven't watched any award show in decades. I have zero interest. The last time I watched the Oscars was when Titanic was up for several awards.

I never even heard of any of the movies that were up for best picture. At least I know most of the actors/actresses, though. LOL!

The only thing I ever had any interest in watching was the fashion. Not these days, but back in the day when there was still some glamour and women dressed to the nines with gorgeous gowns, perfectly coiffed hair and stunning jewels. Oh sure, every year it seemed that there were a few bizarre outfits, but these days its taken to a whole new level.

Plus I'm sick to death of all the pontificating that goes on with these celebrities. An award show is not the time or place to air your views. Show up, smile, be humble, be thankful and keep your mouth shut with your lecturing.

Honored Contributor

I believe it's a combination of things.  People not going to the movies, the quality of most of the movies out, people can watch tons of movies at home, most people don't even know who the majority of the actors are any more, the political and other personal views which are spewed by actors and announcers, etc.  It's no longer an enjoyable thing to watch!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It was a hot mess, boring, and the "wokest" ever.

Thank you Tyler Perry for staying true to yourself, we need more people in Hollywood like you.

Honored Contributor

Watching a bunch of self-important people patting themselves on the back has never been my idea of good tv.