Super Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

I could care less about the Oscars as in my opinion movies are not at all as great as they used to be.  (And for clarification I am almost 72 years old so I've definitely got decades of movie watching by which to make this statement.)  There are too many so-called award shows anyway.  I live in the Nashville area and am disgusted at what is passing now for "country" music.  Give me the old singers any day over this rock-oriented singing of today!  If it's rock, it's rock--not country in the true sense! That's my two cents for what it's worth.  

Honored Contributor

I will not give any of them the time of day. They clean out the homeless from the area to have the Oscars....to parade around in their fancy dresses and million dollar jewelry....acting like they are so special. If they were special they would be doing something to help those poor people they  pushed out. 

Esteemed Contributor

Covid prevented a huge turnout at the Oscars. Guests had to be spread out. I didn't mind the railroad station venue but without food or drink, the tables looked rather pathetically bare. I watched bits and pieces of the awards presentations but I found the program boring because I knew none of the films and few of the actors. I think there are far too many award shows and we've become super-saturated with the excess.

Valued Contributor

Besides never hearing of, let alone seeing any of the movies, I had no interest in watching   The "stars" are of no interest to me, either, especially since I don't know who many of them even are.

Also, I am sure many people are tired of being preached to by a bunch of sanctimonious  "celebrities."  I know I am.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't even know that the Oscars were on last night until I saw clips

this morning. No longer watch it.

When I put Good Morning America on first thing this morning, the Oscars

were their top story. I turned the channel, like an award show is top priority.

Honored Contributor

I was just sitting here trying to remember the last time I watch an Oscar show ....

It was before I moved back to New York .... sometime prior to 1989!  

Super Contributor

I was a devoted Oscars viewed for so, so, many years, but gave up a few years ago. I want to see 'entertainment' and the honoring of that entertainment, the gowns and the entertaining, pleasant interviews on the red carpet, not politics and personal agendas. 

Honored Contributor

I have never watched any awards show. And don't watch the Super Bowl either. Just can't see investing hours of my time.

I did find it interesting that ABC made a big announcement that is sold all their advertising time for the Oscars. They were quite pleased to announce it. So I guess that is what counted. That companies coughed up the big bucks to advertise.

Respected Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac   I agree about being preached to.  I watched it on and off, and was only paying attention during Tyler Perry's speech (I thought it was quite good), and watching Brad Pitt when he came on......that alone was worth watching!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

I don't think I've watched in probably 40 years.