Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscars! Crashing! Posters? Bashing!

[ Edited ]

It is interesting that when we complain about the political pontificating we get told; Don't watch. So we didn't. I do think other factors played in also. Overexposure of celebrities, sad social justice movies, other entertainment media, no comedians as host, weird fashion, celebrities calling it prom season ( how obnoxious is that?) and yes bashing half of the country for their moral, religious and political views probably kept us from watching . Go figure.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars! Crashing! Posters?

[ Edited ]

I would agree there's not much of interest on TV anymore, particularly network TV. I'd also note, however, that the Oscar telecasts, as they've been in recent memory, do very little to enhance the interest factor. 

In the past, I used to watch several of the awards shows but over the past several years have pretty much given them up for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that most of them are pretty boring, and who and what will be rewarded has become almost glaringly predictable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

So, ABC came out with its "final" numbers, 10.4 million.

So what?  Still the lowest rated in Oscarcast history.

ABC spun the positive that it nonetheless beat the most recent Emmy and Grammy shows.  And, it was their highest rated primetime show this year thus far.

Which just reinforces the fact that broadcast television viewing is phenomenally low.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

@JJsMom wrote:

Do people even watch movies and scripted shows anymore? It seems like everyone is into reality shows, YouTube, or Tiktok for entertainment. I think that is contributing to the falling ratings.

@JJsMom I think you are right but for me it's the opposite.  I have moved away from a lot of realty shows that I used to watch.  I don't do Tiktok but I do watch YouTube.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

In reality, most "reality" shows are scripted to some degree.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It is interesting that when we complain about the political pontificating we get told; Don't watch. So we didn't. I do think other factors played in also. Overexposure of celebrities, sad social justice movies, other entertainment media, no comedians as host, weird fashion, celebrities calling is prom season ( how obnoxious is that?) and yes bashing half of the country for their moral, religious and political views probably kept us from watching . Go figure.

@Nancy Drew , I agree with you.  While I agree that anyone has a right to get their views across, there is a time and a place for it.  If I am going to tune into an awards show, go to a concert, go to see a comedien, etc., I don't go to listen their political views or be preached at about what is going on in the world. 

If that is what they want to do, then be prepared for people to tune out, walk out and complain about it.  And be prepared that your career may take a hit.           

Valued Contributor

I can't stand anything about the whole celebrity scene. They all live in their own bubble, unaware of anything outside of that.

I wouldn't waste my time watching any awards show. I used to like professional football, but, not anymore. They are all overpaid buffoons.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

So, ABC came out with its "final" numbers, 10.4 million.

So what?  Still the lowest rated in Oscarcast history.

ABC spun the positive that it nonetheless beat the most recent Emmy and Grammy shows.  And, it was their highest rated primetime show this year thus far.

Which just reinforces the fact that broadcast television viewing is phenomenally low.

@Johnnyeager 

There is only one network worth watching. The "rest" is all "fake" news. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

It's called Karma.....

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I would concur that GRIT TV is the only network worth viewing.