Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

even with just under 10 million viewers it will probably STILL be in the top 25 shows of the week. that many live viewers is pretty rare for ANY show or special these days.

i think it really needs a host......or hosts......comedians in particular.

@sunshine45 Comedians are not allowed. 

@Sooner why? They have had plenty of comedian hosts in the past, Whoopi, Ellen, Steve Martin,Billy Crystal, etc..........

@CANDLEQUEEN That was then and this is now.  Most of what those people did for a routine would never fly now.  They would never work again.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

even with just under 10 million viewers it will probably STILL be in the top 25 shows of the week. that many live viewers is pretty rare for ANY show or special these days.

@Sooner why? They have had plenty of comedian hosts in the past, Whoopi, Ellen, Steve Martin,Billy Crystal, etc..........

@CANDLEQUEEN That was then and this is now.  Most of what those people did for a routine would never fly now.  They would never work again.  

@Sooner No, you are right about that. Everything is very politically correct now, so most of them would have to  reign it in......But I think there still could be a comedian as long as they knew the limits, but could still make it funny......I don't remember Billy Crystal being that controversial when he hosted, but he made it fun and funny! I think the Oscars definitely need a host or two if they want to keep it going. I don't think it works without a host......

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Sooner 

not everyone is doing THAT type of humor......especially these days.

if you (a collective you) are not going to watch it anyways, it probably doesnt really matter to you what type of host it may have. i think it needs some humor, sincerity, compassion, and exuberance from one or several hosts.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay wrote:

WELL....maybe this will now convince these actors/actresses and show business people in general that we do NOT give a "horses' patooty" about their views. 

Maybe now they will just stick to entertainment.  If not, we won't be supporting their lifestyles as they are accustomed to.

@kittykatkay 

some of us dont mind what others have to say about what is going on in the country, the world, the universe......whether it is on  a stage or on a forum........ we may or may not like it, but they certainly have a right to say it. others have the right to turn it off if they wish.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Never watched an awards show - never will - I don't care about their views on politics, or anything else - it's a look at me, look at me show!  And don't get me started on the 'goodie' bag everyone received.

@Mom2Dogs . They should donate all that money to the homeless in that state !  Goodie bags .....ridiculous!!   Those rich actors certainly don't need the $$$  I know it's the presenters that receive them ,  but they are actors as well I'm pretty sure.  

Never watched an awards show - never will - I don't care about their views on politics, or anything else - it's a look at me, look at me show!  And don't get me started on the 'goodie' bag everyone received.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

The swag bags aren't, of course, loaded with money and looking at the contents of this year's bags, believe me, the homeless would not have benefitted...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@kittykatkay wrote:

WELL....maybe this will now convince these actors/actresses and show business people in general that we do NOT give a "horses' patooty" about their views. 

Maybe now they will just stick to entertainment.  If not, we won't be supporting their lifestyles as they are accustomed to.

@kittykatkay 

some of us dont mind what others have to say about what is going on in the country, the world, the universe......whether it is on  a stage or on a forum........ we may or may not like it, but they certainly have a right to say it. others have the right to turn it off if they wish.

@sunshine45 ....you are right.  AND, the majority of the country tuned them out alright ...me included.

Valued Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I actually enjoyed it.  I grew up and lived for years in So Cal where many people are/were employed by the movie industry.  The awards are voted on by their peers and I think it means alot to them.  This is the first time in many years that I haven't seen any of the films nominated.  Can't wait to get back to going to the movies.  Nomadland is first on my list.  

I also enjoy the Golden Globes and the Tony awards.  

---

The Tony Awards are my favorite. I find them, by far, the most entertaining of the awards shows.  

I agree with some here that the Academy Awards have become less about the films and increasingly about social commentary. I generally try to ignore the "issues" at hand while watching, and try to get an idea of what movies I might like to see in future.

Even so, if the Oscars were never again televised, I probably would not miss it at all.

Honored Contributor

People usually only complain about political views if they are not their views - don't we all want free speech?

I would miss it if they stopped televising it because there is nothing interesting to watch on TV anymore.  The ceremony has been around a long time and it will continue to be if it is televised or not. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN 

I did hear some of the things he said and I thought he was awesome! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin