Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

I actually enjoyed it.  I grew up and lived for years in So Cal where many people are/were employed by the movie industry.  The awards are voted on by their peers and I think it means alot to them.  This is the first time in many years that I haven't seen any of the films nominated.  Can't wait to get back to going to the movies.  Nomadland is first on my list.  

I also enjoy the Golden Globes and the Tony awards.  

Honored Contributor

My local news service began the segment about this as if we all didn't realize it was on.  Truthfully, I don't know that I have ever watched an entire Oscars show, but I haven't even watched parts of it in decades.  I ued to watch the fashion parade before, but I'm not even sure they aired that this year.  As soon as the pre-Oscar show came on I changed the channel.

Respected Contributor

I watch the award shows to see if the movies that I have seen are going to win anything.  I haven't been to see a movie in a theatre in - well, you know - it's been a LONG TIME!  Yes, I like to see the stars get glammed up but I can see pics of that after the fact, without having to sit through all the other boring stuff.  I'll watch the Oscars again when I have seen a few of the movies that are up for awards. 

Respected Contributor

Do people even watch movies and scripted shows anymore? It seems like everyone is into reality shows, YouTube, or Tiktok for entertainment. I think that is contributing to the falling ratings.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I'm curious....tell me about this...is it a temporary thing, or permanent displacement?

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure the low viewership will be blamed on the pandemic and the public not seeing most of the movies....

but i truly believe it is because people are fed up with the last few years of the Hollywood elite preaching to the public when delivering their speech about how America is so unfair, unjust, predjuice, etc.............they won't learn or accept that THEY are the reason the Oscars have declined.   Remember when it was JUST about the movies and stars and NOT about social injustices??  Years ago the catagories were won by the BEST AND MOST TALENTED people, stories...............not so much now.  It has turned into politically correct votes.........

Valued Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

Too many foreign "art" films that really aren't enjoyable to watch - apparently, these films are making some sort of statement for the betterment of humanity????   

Also, too much "speech making" of the political rhetoric.  These stars have what they feel is a captive audience for them to get on their personal soapboxes to lecture to the viewing public.

I feel it was a major mistake not to let Kevin Hart host a few years back.  He's a funny comedian that they decided to kick to the curb for some remarks that were made years ago- they really, really need to let go of their political correctness - again judging and ramming their pontifications down the throat of the viewing public.  it should come as no surprise to them that the viewing public decided they really didn't need to be lectured to nor did they need to watch award go to foreign films that really werent that good.

A few years back all the female presenters decided to make a political statement by having everyone wear black gowns.  The end result was boring and a substantial loss of the glam attached to the program.  A lot of viewers tune in strictly for the fashion and when you let go of that, you lose a lot of your viewing public.  Then COVID comes and presenters and winners are watching from home in their pajamas - who wants to send hours of their time looking at these programs with long, boring political acceptance speeches made by winners wearing their pajamas?  

Respected Contributor

WELL....maybe this will now convince these actors/actresses and show business people in general that we do NOT give a "horses' patooty" about their views. 

Maybe now they will just stick to entertainment.  If not, we won't be supporting their lifestyles as they are accustomed to.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

even with just under 10 million viewers it will probably STILL be in the top 25 shows of the week. that many live viewers is pretty rare for ANY show or special these days.

i think it really needs a host......or hosts......comedians in particular.

@sunshine45 Comedians are not allowed. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

even with just under 10 million viewers it will probably STILL be in the top 25 shows of the week. that many live viewers is pretty rare for ANY show or special these days.

i think it really needs a host......or hosts......comedians in particular.

@sunshine45 Comedians are not allowed. 

@Sooner why? They have had plenty of comedian hosts in the past, Whoopi, Ellen, Steve Martin,Billy Crystal, etc..........