Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

I have never watched any awards show. And don't watch the Super Bowl either. Just can't see investing hours of my time.

I did find it interesting that ABC made a big announcement that is sold all their advertising time for the Oscars. They were quite pleased to announce it. So I guess that is what counted. That companies coughed up the big bucks to advertise.

And I bet companies have learned their lesson and wont be buying air time again.....the Oscar ratings have been in decline WAY BEFORE this year and covid! (Johnny Eager posted the info).......Lets face it Hollywood has lost its glitz, glamour and glitter and now people just stream  movies and various series on Netflix or other streaming services....thats why there's a push to incorporate these mediums to be eligible for the Oscars......There was a big debate on "The Irishman" when it came out...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

@mspatmac wrote:

When I want to be preached to I go to church not watch an award show. 

🙌 Amen, sista~me too. 

Honored Contributor

"Stars" used to come beautifully dressed in top designer clothes (not freakish costumes--actual gowns and beautiful accessories) and they would make a speech and act humble and gracious, thank people.

LONG long ago anyway.  Oh and movies were more like good literature--also pretty much a thing of the past.  Some had a plot, intelligent adult conversations, etc. or were funny.  And that's out too.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think I heard the goodie bags were worth $20,000. It would have been wonderful to ask attendees their favorite charities and donate to them.

I haven’t watched in years and that started with Brando. I don’t care about their political views or preaching their phoney values telling me how to live my life.

Tho I was really happy Anthony Hopkins & Frances McDormand won.
Honored Contributor

And the winners laugh all the way to the bank.

Trusted Contributor

@Stray wrote:
I think I heard the goodie bags were worth $20,000. It would have been wonderful to ask attendees their favorite charities and donate to them.

I haven’t watched in years and that started with Brando. I don’t care about their political views or preaching their phoney values telling me how to live my life.

@Stray  The goodie bags were worth $200,000.  They were given to all nominees and what a disgrace considering the long lockdown of businesses in Ca. A real slap in the face to all who have been struggling. 

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

Actually the goodie bags were $205,000 each.   They also drove in SUV's, LIMO's, flew in on jet planes but we need to get our bikes out. Thank goodness that is a one and done for the year.  I can't believe that the "neighborhood people" were moved out for this event.

Honored Contributor

Wow.  Those viewership numbers kinda remind me of that scene in Thelma & Louise...

Thelma And Louise GIFs | Tenor

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I don't know why people even go to the movies anymore, or even watch tv for that matter. The people they are watching are people they seem to have no use for, make fun of and say they can't stand. That is what I am reading here. I have nothing to do with people If I feel that way about them. This is my opinion. 

Respected Contributor

Aside from not wanting to hear their ... commentary, given that Hollywood is part of the reason for society's ills, I'm not giving them my viewership to celebrate it.