Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership Crashes!

Not surprised at all.

Oscars, Grammy, Golden Globes, Country Music Awards have all seen viewership drop in the last few years, and the pandemic really plummeted every one of those awards shows dramatically.  Lowest ratings in history, for all of them.   

But more than COVID issues, I really think the viability of all award shows should be re-considered.  Just have a fashion show for charity, and be done with it.  

QVC Customer Care
Trusted Contributor

I am not surprised.  I usually love the Oscars.  Not a lot of movies were out this year.  The ones that did come out were not really huge hits.  There weren't any of the beautiful "A" list starts in a lot of these movies.  I was almost going to pass on it.   I fast forward thru most of it,  but I think based on the last year it was "ok."

Who knows what the next year will bring for movies and award shows.  They may become a permanent casualty of COVID.

Trusted Contributor

@CoffeeNut 

@CoffeeNut wrote:

I want to see Nomandland when it comes out on streaming.  Even when things get back to normal I doubt if I ever step foot in at movie theatre again.  Don't have to put up with people being on their cell phones in the dark theater and listening to people crunch on their popcorn. 

I watched Nomadland on HULU a month ago.  If you have that service I think you can still see it there.

Super Contributor

Of course it crashed.  People haven’t seen the movies, except if they have Netflix or Amazon.

I saw Mank & Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom on Netflix.  

Ma Rainey was really Chadwick Boseman’s movie Not really Viola Davis’s.  He was outstanding.

Esteemed Contributor

When I want to be preached to I go to church not watch an award show. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wondering what "real acting" is?  Isn't all acting fake? Sounds oxymoronic (to me.)

Frequent Contributor

Here Here Ms. Pat.  I totally agree with your comment.  Stopped watching these awards shows several years ago when they started all the preaching instead of just accepting their awards with some class.  I still record the Country awards as you don't hear much of that nonsense going on.

It's Always Your Favorite Sins...that do you in
Kenny Chesney/Grace Potter
Honored Contributor

Never watched an awards show - never will - I don't care about their views on politics, or anything else - it's a look at me, look at me show!  And don't get me started on the 'goodie' bag everyone received.

Respected Contributor

Re: Oscar Viewership? Crashing?

I haven't watched the Oscars in years.  I don't like to see the pretty gowns but you can always find that afterwards on the interent.  I've actually lost interest in all the awards shows for some time now.  A couple of years ago I remember watching an awards ceremony, I think the SAG's, and celebrity after celebrity kept commenting about health care for "them" the celebrities.  It wasn't just health care , but lots of things they felt they didn't receive.  All I kept thinking to myself was "and they can't afford healthcare from the millions of dollars they make?" especially when there are so many who struggle without it.  Was a real turn off.