Trusted Contributor

Re: Oscar ratings - per Variety - down 16%

@shopperqvcwrote:

@TenderMercies True. The movies have been using awful ways to kill for many years. It's has gotten more "creative" with doing it in even worse ways for a long time. I'm just saying I won't go see them because of the horrific ways they kill. There has to be something better to spend time and money on than gory murder. I have watched World War ll movies for many years. I can't put the whole name of the film on here, but it's a Brad Pitt movie starting with Inglorious. I watched until they got to the part where they supposedly good guys scalped a bad guy. Maybe that does go on in war, but it doesn't have to be watched by me. I changed the channel at that point. I don't need that much realism in my "entertainment". I want to forget the stress of my day, not add to it. Even Bambi's mother was killed in that movie, I get that. But, I don't want to be struck by what Hollywood calls realism, I want to be entertained. If they are going to raise my blood pressure, I'm not paying to watch. And the language in most of the films today has gotten much more coarse. That wasn't until the 60's that they allowed it. I'm just saying it's not what I want to pay for and it's shows on the TV ratings that other's aren't interested either. 4 hours of I did a good job is 3 hours too much.

@shopperqvc I'm fascinated by how many contributors in this thread have never been to an awards ceremony of any kind.  Throughout my life, I have been to awards ceremony for high school sports, high school band, National Honor Society, the VFW, etc., and at any of these awards ceremonies, the through line has been similar:  People are given awards for their achievements, the winners show pride, their peers pat them on the back and congratulate them, and a celebration occurs.  That is what an awards ceremonly entails.  All these contibutors showing disgust over "patting on the back" and "self-congratulatory" displays seem to never been to any kind of awards ceremony or understand what happens at them.   

Honored Contributor

I would like to point out that there is a big difference between violence and cruelty.

I think a great example is the types of killing seen in The Walking Dead.

The character Negan so often kills living humans with pleasure and is cruel, yet killing the walkers is done by many of the other characters either with compassion, or with swift efficiency out of necessity.  (Admittedly, there were a few characters over the years who were cruel even when it came to killing walkers/zombies.)

That's just a minimum set of examples out of many that can be found in film.   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

Definitely did not watch this year!!

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad you brought up that there are awards ceremonies for all sorts of activities, @TenderMercies.   And people dress their best, too, whether it's formal or informal.  Sure, these ceremonies may all be "boring" for those not directly involved, but that doesn't mean that we should be diminishing the accomplishments of those who did excellent work.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

@TenderMercies Did they have several awards shows in one year for the same people? That's what is boring about them along with the amount of time. There's the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, Academy Awards, SAG Awards. It's the same thing over and over. I doubt any of those you mentioned have several awards programs for the same people. And no awards I ever went to lasted that long. Yes, the people get a pat on the back for a job well done, but they don't get to try many times to win it. It just gets old. Regular programming goes into retuns because they expect their viewers to watch the awards shows. Time to go back to regular programs.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional@shopperqvc@GingerPeach@tablescape@TenderMercies

I have a suggestion for the network that televises the Academy Awards.  Set a time limit. Award the movies wanting to be seen by the highest percentage of the viewing audience.

Stop awarding “sound editing” AND “sound engineering.” Who cares? (Sorry to those who ARE one of these)

So, Best Film Best Actor Best Actress ...that is all.

No songs, dancing or antics 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@shopperqvcwrote:

@TenderMercies Did they have several awards shows in one year for the same people? That's what is boring about them along with the amount of time. There's the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, Academy Awards, SAG Awards. It's the same thing over and over. I doubt any of those you mentioned have several awards programs for the same people. And no awards I ever went to lasted that long. Yes, the people get a pat on the back for a job well done, but they don't get to try many times to win it. It just gets old. Regular programming goes into retuns because they expect their viewers to watch the awards shows. Time to go back to regular programs.

@shopperqvc Yes, actually, there are multiple awards given for many different fields of work.  The difference is that other fields aren't necessarily televised because they are not associated with the entertainment industry.  If you find them boring, then don't watch.  I don't know why you would, or why you'd begrudge those who enjoy watching.  Some people enjoy watching others succeed, and some don't. 

Trusted Contributor

@LTT1wrote:

@ms traditional@shopperqvc@GingerPeach@tablescape@TenderMercies

I have a suggestion for the network that televises the Academy Awards.  Set a time limit. Award the movies wanting to be seen by the highest percentage of the viewing audience.

Stop awarding “sound editing” AND “sound engineering.” Who cares? (Sorry to those who ARE one of these)

So, Best Film Best Actor Best Actress ...that is all.

No songs, dancing or antics 

@LTT1 The awards are about the industry as a whole, not just the actors.  They already have a separate ceremony in which technical achievements are given out on a much more extensive level.  They save the major ones for the broadcast so they can show inclusiveness and respect toward the many people involved in film making.  The entertainment industry is a collaborative effort, so they are trying to emulate that with the broadcast.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Cumbercookie13wrote:
@RainCityWomanI agree. People should not feel superior because they refused to watch an awards show. There are plenty of changes the Oscars can do to make the show smoother, but at the end of the day, it's still going to happen. No one is being forced to see and hear actors they claim they can't stand, but will praise on another thread.

Except, I'm not convinced they really DON"T watch. I think they watch all the time.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1

Speaking of, I didn't recognize Sandra Bullock.   Wow and not in a good way.