Valued Contributor

Re: Oscar Nominations are out!

[ Edited ]

@Miss Pepsi  I’m shallow too ...  also uninformed, classless,  uneducated, and I don’t give a witt who wins or what they say !!  Look at fashion and find other programming ...

Honored Contributor

Absolute joke that Greta Gerwig wasn't nominated for best director for Little Women. Seems like female directors in Hollywood still face an uphill battle in some ways.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@Miss Pepsi  I’m shallow too ...  also uninformed, classless,  uneducated, and I don’t give a witt who wins or what they say !!  Look at fashion and find other programming ...

I can never remember what the winners say in their acceptance speeches, guess I'm not paying attention. I catch up when I read posts on this forum from those who disagree with whatever was said. 

Honored Contributor

Isnt Marriage Story now on Netflix?

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle, it has always been on Netflix and not a theatre release. I still think that is weird, but I guess that is the way of the future. I will be very sad if I can't go to the movies anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego   Got it.  Thank you very much!

Esteemed Contributor

Not too long ago the AMPAS voted to allow movies shown on Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services to be eligible for Oscar consideration based on this rule:

The rule allows any film to be considered for an Oscar, so long as they have a minimum seven-day theatrical run in a Los Angeles theatre.

Motion pictures can appear on a streaming service on or after the day of their theatrical run and still be eligible for an award.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager  Thanks for giving us the official rule - guess it's the same reason why films that open in January in the rest of the country get nominated.  I knew Marriage Story and The Irishman were both in theaters for a few weeks by me, but understand their argument is that streaming the movies open them up to a wider audience in smaller locations that wouldn't otherwise get them screened in theaters. I didn't independently confirm this, but heard someone say that Netflix had the most nominations this year out of all production companies (Sony being second.)