Respected Contributor

Since Carol's Second Act and All Rise have been on for a few episodes what are your opinions of them now?

I"m going to start with" Carol's Second Act".    The show itself is pretty lame but with each episode they bring in a note of seriousness.    I think it was last week that they had the young athlete who had a genetic heart condition and Carol wanted him to stop playing football because he had an increased risk of dying on the field.  She felt that his mother would agree with her but instead the mother told her that her son was going to continue playing athletics.   As a doctor, Carol couldn't believe that both the son and the mother were willing to take that chance with his life.

In last nights's episode they addressed the pharmaceutical reps trying to convince the doctors to purchase the medications they are being told to push.  Such a relevant issue in the medical field today.  

I have to say that if you are able to overlook some of the silliness the show addresses matters that often affect many of us regarding our health care.

Now to "All Rise".    I am still trying to decide if I like that show.   In many ways, she addressed some very important issues but at the same time her demeanor and how she handles the cases just seems to be unrealistic in how the court system works. 

I don't care for the woman who handles the court agenda for the judge.  In the real world I can't imagine any judge allowing her to talk to them like she does.   Granted I haven't spend much time in a courtroom but I think the judge rules the bench with an iron fist.   They would not allow a court employee to be so free with her opinions of how she runs her courtroom.  

Has anyone on the forum decided a yay or nay after watching more episodes of these two shows?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions on two new shows.

I am really warming up to Carols Second Act and I have always liked Patricia Heaton.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I am really warming up to Carols Second Act and I have always liked Patricia Heaton.

I am really enjoying Carols Second Act.  I like all of the characters.  I have yet to watch All Rise.

Honored Contributor

Never watched All Rise but I have been watching Carols Second Act.  After the first episode I wasnt sure but kept watching to give it a chance. I do like it and all of the characters. I like Patricia Heaton and she is a wonderful actor and I love that she helps World Vision!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like All Rise, but last week it was a rerun and it aired an hour later than usual. Have not watched any sitcoms in years. 

Super Contributor

I love the actress who plays the judge, Simone Missick, in "All Rise."  She did a great job in "Luke Case."  However, the writing is somewhat off, especially when it comes to the leeway allowed the law clerk in commanding the Judge's Chambers.  The character is just plain irritating and unbelieveable.  I think with some tweaking, the show would be great because it touches on issues and attempts to deal with them in a humane way.

"Carol's Act," however, it just the same old sitcom with Patricia Heaton cast in the lead. If you loved her in Raymond, liked her in the Middle, then you're probably watch this show.  Admittedly, that's why I tuned in.  I just wished the show would take some chances and not rehash old themes.  I do appreciate that they tried to make the cast somewhat diverse, but the storylines and laughs are totally predictable.

Honored Contributor

I've seen enough of Heaton to last several lifetimes... Also, not interested in issue-driven TV, particularly sitcoms, which, for me, should be funny and represent a break from all the preaching routinely offered up by media of all sorts...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Both shows are awful and shouldn't be given a second season. If they're cheap to produce maybe they'll just be sent to the Saturday night dead zone.

Honored Contributor

I watch Carol's Second Act and I don't really know why.  Probably because I liked Patricia Heaton in past shows and I keep hoping the show will improve.  That hasn't happened yet.  I watched two episodes of All Rise and gave up.  Sure it's tv and all tv is fiction but that show doesn't have an iota or reality to it.  There are better ways for me waste an hour.

Honored Contributor

I love Patricia Heaton.  I loved her in Everybody Loves Raymond and also in The Middle. This show --- has a good premise and could be really good.  However, the writing is terrible.  I don't see this lasting.  I have not seen All Rise.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin