Honored Contributor

I saw the premiere of the trailer for this movie on Amazon Prime, January 15 on GMA. It is directed by Regina King, it looked really good. "Based on a play by Kemp Powers ( also wrote screenplay). The film envisions one night in the lives of four monumental Black legends, Muhammad Ali, Malcom X, San Cooke, and Jim Brown as they celebrate Ali's historic 1964 win over Sonny Liston in a Miami Hotel".

Honored Contributor

It got rave reviews, and I also read that Regina will likely get award nominations for Best Director.  She is so multi-talented, strong, and down to earth - just love her.

Honored Contributor

This premieres on Friday, I can't wait to see it.

Honored Contributor

@Tique. Take a look at the review in today's NY Post. They loved it. And the review says King, the director,  gave each principle actor a moment to shine while the Sam Cooke character gets several moments. ❤

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  thanks. I will.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I just watched this, the performances were exceptional, Oscar is going to come a knocking when the nominations are announced. Now, I'm not giving anything away, but watching this it was sad knowing Sam Cooke wouldn't see a new year ( he died December 11, 1964 ten months later), Malcolm X would follow Sam two months later February 21, 1965. Leslie Odom Jr. as Sam Cooke does his own singing! One last thing, Beau Bridges character says something to Jim Brown (Aldis Hodge) that made me gasp out loud and pick my lower jaw up off the floor.

Respected Contributor

Re: One Night In Miami

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just watched this, the performances were exceptional, Oscar is going to come a knocking when the nominations are announced. Now, I'm not giving anything away, but watching this it was sad knowing Sam Cooke wouldn't see a new year ( he died December 11, 1964 ten months later), Malcolm X would follow Sam two months later February 21, 1965. Leslie Odom Jr. as Sam Cooke does his own singing! One last thing, Beau Bridges character says something to Jim Brown (Aldis Hodge) that made me gasp out loud and pick my lower jaw up off the floor.

@Jordan2   I watched and loved it.  The acting is outstanding and I think "Oscar" will definitely acknowledge this wonderful film.

The scene with Jim Brown and Beau Bridges...I felt like someone slapped me in the face, especially with the conversation leading up to that moment.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: One Night In Miami

[ Edited ]

I just now saw this thread and want to see One Night in Miami.  Hoping that some words and thoughts of these major Black figures are revealed. 

I have this in mind because on the local news the other evening, Virginia Ali, who owns the well-known D.C. eatery Ben's Chili Bowl (her husband, Ben, has passed), was speaking of a conversation she had with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., about the reasons he fought so valiantly for civil rights.

Ben's Chili Bowl has fed many civil rights leaders throughout the decades. 

Here is a TV interview with Virginia Ali and her daughter-in-law from June 2020:

https://wjla.com/news/local/virginia-ali-reflects-on-protest-movement-amid-unrest

ETA:  Excerpted from a 2020 print interview with Virginia Ali:

“DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING had a satellite office at 14th and U, just a couple of blocks away. So he would come in from time to time, and we just listened to him talk about his dream, and meet many of the civil rights leaders at that time. And we thought we were making some progress because the Civil Rights bill was passed in 1964 and the Voting Rights bill was passed in 1965.”

Esteemed Contributor

I too watched it and enjoyed the story and the actors.  I always knew about Muhammad Ali and Malcolm X friendship but never knew Sam Cooke and Jim Brown were also in that friendship circle of brotherhood.

They were all young and having fun and trying to plan their futures even though they were going down different roads.  Unfortunately Malcolm X and Sam Cooke never saw their plans come to light but when Leslie Odom Jr sang A Change Is Going to Come that was as powerful as Sam Cooke singing it himself.

Love Regina King she did an excellent job.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2   I watched and loved it.  The acting is outstanding and I think "Oscar" will definitely acknowledge this wonderful film.

The scene with Jim Brown and Beau Bridges...I felt like someone slapped me in the face, especially with the conversation leading up to that moment.

@Mersha it was just so unexpected what the Beau Bridge's character said, they were talking like everything was okay, then he said what he said to Jim Brown so matter of fact like it was just normal.