Honored Contributor

Re: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

I finally saw this film last night and have a question.  

I thought the first time we saw Brad Pitt feed his dog, he was in his own little trailer behind the drive-in movie.  

But the second time at the end of the film, he was at Leo's house.  Why did he have dog food in the cupboard at Leo's house?   huh?   Can someone explain this to me?  Or clarify?

I really liked the film by the way, but have an issue with the end and changing history.  Although I was happy about that ending, I think it's disrepectiful and somewhat ghoulish  regarding such a tragedy to change the ending.  I can only imagine how the relatives of the Manson victims felt if they saw the film.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I finally saw this film last night and have a question.  

I thought the first time we saw Brad Pitt feed his dog, he was in his own little trailer behind the drive-in movie.  

But the second time at the end of the film, he was at Leo's house.  Why did he have dog food in the cupboard at Leo's house?   huh?   Can someone explain this to me?  Or clarify?

I really liked the film by the way, but have an issue with the end and changing history.  Although I was happy about that ending, I think it's disrepectiful and somewhat ghoulish  regarding such a tragedy to change the ending.  I can only imagine how the relatives of the Manson victims felt if they saw the film.

Regarding the dog food - I think Brad's character spent so much time at his employer/friend's house that keeping some dog food there made perfect sense.  QT ended this movie much like he ended Inglorious Basterds - revised history to suit his story.  I loved this movie.

Honored Contributor

Now I have another point about this film.   I think the movie-in-a-movie dragged a bit; Tarantino could have edited a little bit of that out.  That said, I wish he'd elaborated a bit more on Brad having killed his wife.  I only saw a quick scene where there was discord between them on a boat so we then assume he did away with her.   Why not have cut a bit of that western filimg out and elaborated a little more about what Brad did to his wife?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee

My daughter had the same complaint...the boat scene was so short and the death of Brad's wife was not addressed directly, just referred to in passing by other characters.

That said, after we saw the film, we started reading reviews and articles describing all the "Easter Eggs" Tarantino hid in the movie...and the death of Brad's wife was ALLEGEDLY an oblique reference to the Robert Wagner/Natalie Wood boating incident, in which Natalie drowned and many questions about her death were never answered.
I suppose that sort of explains why Tarantino didn't elaborate on the boating accident, mirroring all the unanswered questions surrounding Natalie Wood's death.

Trusted Contributor

@JillyMarie 

@Pearlee 

Do you know...I never even thought of the dog food being at LEO's house!! You are far more observant than I was. I was overly-fascinated with seeing dupes for Connie Stevens, Joey Heatherton, Steve McQueen, etc. 

I also did not know there was a three-way love story between Polanski, Tate and Sebring. That was news to me. I did remember that Jay Sebring was a partial inspiration for Warren Beatty's character in the 1975 movie, "Shampoo." 

Trusted Contributor

@MarnieRez3   one more observation about the dog food.  It was the most disgusting slop I've ever seen and the bowl was filthy.  And why did he have to drop it in from counter height?  Yuck, just picturing that scene makes me queasy.  

Trusted Contributor

@JillyMarie

You read my mind!!
Omg...that was soooooo disgusting. Why why why did he photograph it from above? I can still hear the awful noise of when the food hits the bowl! So completely disgusting.
Frequent Contributor

@Pearlee 

i just wanted to say that I agree with you regarding the end of this movie. I have not seen it nor do I plan to, but I know how it ends. When I read about it, I commented to my husband that I thought it was kind of disrespectful to the victim’s loved ones. You are the first person ( I think ) that seems to have the same thoughts. 

Perhaps it is because I was 17 when the crimes occurred and to this day, they still horrify me. 

Reggie

Occasional Contributor

This is the worst movie I've ever seen.  There really is no story line.  It's made up of the F word. Thousands of times, smoking drinking crying  eating greasy food looking greasy.  It was just gross.  I can't print what I really think.  I got up and left early.

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@JillyMarie 

@Pearlee 

Do you know...I never even thought of the dog food being at LEO's house!! You are far more observant than I was. I was overly-fascinated with seeing dupes for Connie Stevens, Joey Heatherton, Steve McQueen, etc. 

I also did not know there was a three-way love story between Polanski, Tate and Sebring. That was news to me. I did remember that Jay Sebring was a partial inspiration for Warren Beatty's character in the 1975 movie, "Shampoo." 

@MarnieRez3   Well, @JillyMarie  's explanation is perfectly reasonable to me, but that said, I tend to think Tarantino meant for nobody to notice the difference in cupboard locations, as you didn't, or just not to care.  The dog food had to be at Leo's house the second time because that's where the plot line took us (Manson murder night).   

I thought the feeding at Brad's trailer was the grossest, with the dry food piled on top of the two cans of soft food.  Ugh is right.