Trusted Contributor

Re: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

@sunshine45
@golding76

Thank you, smart women! Brenda Vaccaro's voice is unforgettably sexy...her characters always sounded like they had too much gin and too many cigarettes.
And... I really cannot remember seeing her in the movie as Al Pacino's wife. I must rewatch the early scenes when it comes to TV!

@proudlyfromNJ

Wow, I totally forgot that Brenda V. was with Michael Douglas back in the day! That's a long-forgotten couple for me...thanks for refreshing my brain.

Goldie, this review is sooo good...it gives me so much to ponder. Thank you for posting the link!

In a review I read online they mentioned that Brad Pitt's marital "situation" in the movie may have been a nod to Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood...but I'm writing around the "incident" and creating an oblique sentence so I don't spoil the plotline for the people who haven't seen the movie!

Lastly, Goldie, thank you for moving my hometown from Westwood to Brentwood! Lolol...you upped my standing by about three tax brackets!💜 (Westwood is the poor third distant cousin to Brentwood.) I have never seen the movie Goin' but now I'm going to search it out. Thank you, my dear!
Honored Contributor

@golding76   I saw this film a couple of weeks ago. This seldom happens but your opinions were almost identical to mine. I don't consider myself a Tarantino fan either but I thoroughly enjoyed this film. In fact as long as it was, the time passed quickly for me. 

@twinny70   Thanks again for sharing your family's personal connection. While watching, it became mine. He did an incredible job as Bruce Lee.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@daisyk
My whole family wants to see it...We are huge Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction fans.
That said, Tarantino's movies are bloody and often uncomfortably violent. I don't know if this one has the usual bloodshed in it...haven't read the reviews yet.

I saw this movie last week. It has bloodshed and violence but mostly at the end. It was uncomfortably violent, but turned ridiculous! I was laughing a bit because it was over the top.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved this flick, actually.

(1st Tarantino film for me)

dee

Honored Contributor

I'm hoping to see the film this coming week.  I wanted to go the other day on the actual 50th anniv. of the Manson murders, but was then too tired.  I'm busy this week, but still hope to squeeze it into my schedule.  

Honored Contributor

I have to say that I blame Hollywood for a lot of the acceptance of and the normality of violence in this country. 

It is common place now in movies, and people who 20 years ago would be shocked are not now.  I can't help but think how this must affect younger people who grew up with Tarentino movies as the norm.

I don't think violence has to be graphic to make a point and tell a story.  It's to make a $$$$$.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the "slash and gore" nature of many video games enjoyed by younger people (and many adults) are contributing factors, as well. 

Movie and game producers have capitalized on violence to an extreme and to our detriment as a society.  Some sci-fi "end of the world" movies probably aren't helping, either.

Also, look at the now-casual use of obscene words by both kids and adults of both sexes.  Once-forbidden words have now become all-too-normal and commonplace in conversations.

Honored Contributor

DH & I saw it Saturday - longish yes but it certainly didn't drag. Total action and mostly downright funny most of the time. Loved the musci & autos in this flick. I said to DH wonder where they got all those gorgeous cars.

Gosh darn, Brad Pitt is GOOD LOOKING. Leo nothing to sneeze at either, they're aging quite well in my opinion. Send either my way - please!!! LOL

Loved the scenes with Brandy, she & Brad certainly had a great connection. Either she really belongs to him or she's a very good actor. Who's Brandy you ask? She's his dog. And yeah, towards the end the bad people got there's for sure.

Bottom line - either you like QT's movies and odd sense of humor or you don't. We've seen many of his flicks. He never disappoints.

Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

Yes, agreed - Brad Pitt is so ridiculously handsome. Perhaps for that reason, I unfairly thought he was never that great an actor. BOY WAS I WRONG! He absolutely "owned" the cool-cat role in this movie, and managed to steal a lot of scenes away from the brilliant Leo DeCaprio. 

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3   Soooo ridiculously handsome...he's just made to be stared at which is good because there are scenes with him that we can just do that.  And that old carman ghia with him driving, Brad pick me up please.

Mr D is looking good these days, he's lost weight (where he's needed to gain wght in other flicks he's done), he looks good too.