Honored Contributor

Re: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

[ Edited ]

GoinBackCali,

That "something else" brings it home.  Just wait till you discover what it is.  And when you do, please come back and report your thoughts (without giving it away, even if you are aching to do so).

Thank you for your generous words.  ETA:  Funny you should mention spaghetti westerns because they figure in this movie, too.  

No one could be more surprised than I by how much I liked what I saw and experienced.

I said to my sons that I thought those who would like this movie most would be those alive and an adult in 1969.  Then today, I read a review that pretty much said the same thing.  Even if you know of that era and all its insanity, if you were living during that time, you will like this more, I believe.

I chuckled when I saw a couple hippie girls carrying a woven Greek bag -- a bag that many of us wore back in the day.  You don't see that kind of eye for detail anywhere as you see in this film.

Almost any girl who had artistic or hippie aspirations had one of these:

image 0

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego...Thanks for the heads up! From what you describe I think I can handle the action.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76  I was born a few years afterwards, but I love Hollywood stories.  Loved the commercials they showed and just seeing the advertisements, etc.

But your comment made me laugh because, to my coworker’s daughter’s credit, she had a clue who some of the people were. But some of her friends had no idea and didn’t get a lot of it.  For example, they had no clue who Bruce Lee was!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 I had one of those bags and I was 20 in 1969. I think I will go see the movie. Was the movie too long?

Honored Contributor

Yes, it was long.  Nearly three hours, I think.

Definitely use the facilities right before it begins and do not drink much.

Respected Contributor

As someone who was born & raised in SoCal & turned 19 in 1969, this movie sounds like something I'd enjoy & will probably go to see.

Respected Contributor

I really want to see this film.  Njoy both Brad Pitt and Leonardo.  I am fascinated with the '60's - everything about it - and 1969 was a tumultuous year to end the decade.

In '69 I was 11 years old, just on the cusp of knowing about all this stuff.  To this day I find the Manson murders/family/beliefs such a strange yet intriguing true story.  Helter Skelter being one of my fav books I've read.

And yes, I had one of those knit hippie chick bags, along w/a chunky knit sweater w/similar detailing.  Must put this movie on my to do list in the coming week or two.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

GoinBackCali,

That "something else" brings it home.  Just wait till you discover what it is.  And when you do, please come back and report your thoughts (without giving it away, even if you are aching to do so).

Thank you for your generous words.  ETA:  Funny you should mention spaghetti westerns because they figure in this movie, too.  

No one could be more surprised than I by how much I liked what I saw and experienced.

I said to my sons that I thought those who would like this movie most would be those alive and an adult in 1969.  Then today, I read a review that pretty much said the same thing.  Even if you know of that era and all its insanity, if you were living during that time, you will like this more, I believe.

I chuckled when I saw a couple hippie girls carrying a woven Greek bag -- a bag that many of us wore back in the day.  You don't see that kind of eye for detail anywhere as you see in this film.

Almost any girl who had artistic or hippie aspirations had one of these:

image 0

Mine was blue.  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I had one of those purses too.  We all did!  

The reviews I've read aobut this film state it's typically Tarantino bloody violent at the end.

It's also long and several reviews said it dragged in its length.

Honored Contributor

I was a teenager in the 60's and got married sometime around there.

My friends and I have wonderful memories of the 60's and 70's.  Parties, no children, enjoying life, working, being in love.

I think it all depends on what you do with your life as to how you see it.

My little sister lived in a commune with her (eventually) husband.  She had one of those purses (not because she lived in a commune).  She had a purse exactly like the picture (same color, everything).  She dressed like what people call a Hippie.  Like so many things, it was just a word.