Trusted Contributor

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this yet? The subject matter fascinates me, but I'm wondering how bad the violence is being a Tarantino film. I know, what do I expect? I usually don't watch his films, but like I said, the subject matter has me intrigued. Anyway, would love any thoughts or reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

@daisyk wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this yet? The subject matter fascinates me, but I'm wondering how bad the violence is being a Tarantino film. I know, what do I expect? I usually don't watch his films, but like I said, the subject matter has me intrigued. Anyway, would love any thoughts or reviews.

I haven't seen the movie, but our dd, dgs and dgd are going to see it tonight.  They all have their 2nd degree black belts and their taekwondo instructor is in this movie.  The entire studio is going to see it. We are so happy that he made the Big Screen.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@daisyk
My whole family wants to see it...We are huge Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction fans.
That said, Tarantino's movies are bloody and often uncomfortably violent. I don't know if this one has the usual bloodshed in it...haven't read the reviews yet.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70 wrote:

I haven't seen the movie, but our dd, dgs and dgd are going to see it tonight.  They all have their 2nd degree black belts and their taekwondo instructor is in this movie.  The entire studio is going to see it. We are so happy that he made the Big Screen.  

@twinny70  thanks for sharing that. I plan to see the movie during the upcoming week. You must be extremely proud of your family members. I noticed you didn't mention your own 2nd degree black belt. Were you being modest? I'm kidding you unless you really do have one. I think it's wonderful that this is a shared interest. More families should do these kind of things together.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@MarnieRez3...I know, the "uncomfortably violent" is what I'm afraid of. I thought I would see what people think. I will probably go see it though.

Trusted Contributor

@daisyk 

Yes, I understand completely. I absolutely love Tarantino's inventive dialogue and his non-linear narrative and all his pop culture references, but there are repulsive scenes in both Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill that I still cannot get out of my head. And, Reservoir Dogs has the famous torture scene set to music which is beyond disturbing.  

I get so conflicted with directors like this - clearly he is a massive talent, but I don't see the need for such raw carnage and visceral violence. I feel the same way about Martin Scorsese movies - such a genius, but could he possibly tone down the violence just a tad?? 

I, like you, find that Hollywood era fascinating subject matter and, Leo and Brad, well - enough said there. Eye candy all day long! Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

• @Tique wrote:

@twinny70 wrote:

@twinny70  thanks for sharing that. I plan to see the movie during the upcoming week. You must be extremely proud of your family members. I noticed you didn't mention your own 2nd degree black belt. Were you being modest? I'm kidding you unless you really do have one. I think it's wonderful that this is a shared interest. More families should do these kind of things together.

My DH & I have never done tkd.  My dd got her 2nd degree black belt last year at 45.  Her 16 year old ds & her 14 year old dd got their 2nd degree black belts last year too. Her DH and eldest ds dabbled in tkd.  It's a lot of hard work & determination.  They were a soccer family for many years too. 

Trusted Contributor

@twinny70 

Wow - that is so cool! The entire Taekwando studio is taking in the movie! Love that!

Please let us know how your family members like the movie...

Esteemed Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@twinny70 

Wow - that is so cool! The entire Taekwando studio is taking in the movie! Love that!

Please let us know how your family members like the movie...

I will report back tomorrow.  We are excited for them because they live in a town of 12,000 people.  The studio is in their hometown too..

Honored Contributor

I'm very curious about this movie.  Definitely a great cast.