Honored Contributor

I have DirecTV and get the Ovation channel.  There is a series ( been on for maybe a month or so) that I have recorded and just started watching.  Original airings 2013.

Its "A Place To Call Home".  Wow it is very good.  Its another English production.  I think the English have it totally over the US shows.  They have good story lines, the characters are more real (as in looks, clothes, etc), not everyone is young, slim and beautiful.

If you dont get the Ovation channel its possible you can stream it I think.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I just discovered Ovation recently. Every Tuesday to Friday they run excellent mysteries, my favorite genre. Murdoch is from Toronto at the turn of the last century, Miss Fisher is from Australia in the 1920s, and then there's the superb Barnaby series, Midsomer Murders, from England. My mornings away from the news, have been terrific.

Honored Contributor

Ovation has been a part of our basic Comcast lineup for years. 

Valued Contributor

Not sure if I have Ovation, but watched that series on Acorn.  I loved it.  If you like British or Australian productions there tons of them on Acorn.  I agree the British do such a great job.  Glad someone else enjoyed that series.

Honored Contributor

I get all those shows but I don't have the Ovation channel.

Honored Contributor

All those shows are on PBS-UK here in my area. Almost sorry to hear Ovation has picked them up, because it means less variety for me, but they all are good shows. Both Miss Fischer and A Place to Call Home are courtesy of Australian television.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Ovation has been a part of our basic Comcast lineup for years. 

Same w/Verizon FIOS.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: On Ovation Channel

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

I just discovered Ovation recently. Every Tuesday to Friday they run excellent mysteries, my favorite genre. Murdoch is from Toronto at the turn of the last century, Miss Fisher is from Australia in the 1920s, and then there's the superb Barnaby series, Midsomer Murders, from England. My mornings away from the news, have been terrific.

@Vivian  I'll have to check out Murdoch, I don't think I've seen that one, but there are so many UK shows I've come to love like Vera and Lewis among others. Have to admit, though, I've never warmed to Midsommer Murders and it seems like it's on all the time. I especially don't like the newest incarnation of the main character. I do wish my local station would procure some newer seasons of all these shows, though, instead of showing the same seasons repeatedly.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I have been watching Ovation for a while now.  And have seen most of the morning mystery shows.  Now most are on repeat. 

Loved 'A Place to Call Home' - an Aussie show - but there are several more seasons that they will not show on Ovation. It just repeats every three months or so.  Same thing with Midsumer Murders, that I do like and Murdock, that I didn't.  On Fridays - at about noon Mountain time , there is a show McCallum,a Scottish show.  Very good, but again, most are now repeats....

Several of these show and many more from other countries are on Acorn and I am loving them!!  I do have to pay extra, since my Spectrum tier does not include that channel. I think these UK, Aussie, Scottish, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian shows are so much better than any US show.

Respected Contributor

I don't get Ovation channel, but I do get some of those shows. Sounds like a good channel, though.