Honored Contributor

Alina Zagatova will probably sweep all the gold medals, certainly in individual technical program and the free program.  Hard to believe she's only 15.  She has never been beaten in everything she ever entered from 2017 to 2018.  She started out in 2017 as the world's Junior champion.  Her programs are near perfect and it takes tremendous strength to put all her jumps in the 2nd half of her long program. 

Regular Contributor

I'm bummed about Reed and Muramoto. Smiley Sad They're among my favorites and more than often WAY underscored for their programs. Reed's fall was unfortunate, especially given how beautiful their "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" program truly is. Hopefully, they bounce back in the individual medal rounds. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

The women were scored close to what I expected except Sakamoto should be ahead of Carolina Kostner (better technical, artistry was stronger even though it is youthful; Her skating told a story). I had red flags when Johnny Weir said "the judges will pad her score in the component score." Really? Padding? "Friends in high places" come in again. 

Zagitova is a class by herself, but she's too polished and perfect. She reminds me of an android. A nice, perfect skating android developed for world domination. Even her emotion seems too on-cue. I wonder what the real her is really like if and when she's allowed to be an authentic self?

But she's amazing... Truly amazing... To me, the best women's performance I've seen on the ice... I thought so at the European championships too. I think she deserved her win over Medvedeva.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

The women were scored close to what I expected except Sakamoto should be ahead of Carolina Kostner (better technical, artistry was stronger even though it is youthful; Her skating told a story). I had red flags when Johnny Weir said "the judges will pad her score in the component score." Really? Padding? "Friends in high places" come in again. 

Zagitova is a class by herself, but she's too polished and perfect. She reminds me of an android. A nice, perfect skating android developed for world domination. Even her emotion seems too on-cue. I wonder what the real her is really like if and when she's allowed to be an authentic self?

But she's amazing... Truly amazing... To me, the best women's performance I've seen on the ice... I thought so at the European championships too. I think she deserved her win over Medvedeva.

Don't get me wrong, I agree! She is the better skater, but the emotion just isn't there. I just think if she's allowed to emote more, she'd be a stronger skater and FAR into the elite category. That's what I mean by her being an android: Not everything is authentic. 

Regular Contributor

The Russians are performing "Oblivion!" I LOVE this program. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

The Russians are performing "Oblivion!" I LOVE this program. 

@KaliaMonet It was exquisite...

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I agree! She is the better skater, but the emotion just isn't there. I just think if she's allowed to emote more, she'd be a stronger skater and FAR into the elite category. That's what I mean by her being an android: Not everything is authentic. 

I understand... At only fifteen (can you believe that...) maybe some of that emotion will come with life experience, assuming she's allowed to have any...

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I understand... At only fifteen (can you believe that...) maybe some of that emotion will come with life experience, assuming she's allowed to have any...

The way the Russian training schools are, I doubt it, but one can hope. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh please they weren't all that and that music was horrable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

The Shibutani's rocked it as far as I'm concerned and I think the scores could have been a bit better... 

And frankly, and to be a bit petty, I wish this duo from Canada would retire... Good as they are, I'm sick of looking at them...

Smiley Surprised