Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I'm not understanding this scoring but the US skater Rippon delivers a perfect program....Kolyada had no energy, fell twice and Chan did two difficult moves but fell out of a rotation, showed no enthusiasm....he places first.....

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Bradie Tennell so good last night, no nerves on her.

Here's my problem and I hope someone can help me:  I fell asleep before Medvedeva (that is so hard to type!) and missed the pairs free skate.

I thought I found it on Comcast On Demand but it turned out to be Scott Hamilton and Tanith White (as boring as her husband) and someone else gabbing the whole time with teeny little clips of the skating.

People with Comcast, can you help?  I'm so angry that it's not available On Demand, none of it.  I pay so much already, do you have to pay extra for X1 to watch On Demand on your tv (not your computer or tablet, I want to watch on my tv and it's not a smart tv).

@LoriLori All I know is Bradie Tennell should have won. She was fabulous. I agree with other posters that it’s biased.

Medvedeva won the short program fairly. She has the technical skills and artistry. Bradie Tennell is a jumper and lacks the artistry. The latter will come as she works through the senior circuit. Tennell's fifth is right where she should be considering the other ladies' programs. The only one I'm contesting is Miyahara should be ahead of Osmond. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

For those who think judging isn't an issue, here's an article

@KaliaMonet, wow.  I had no idea.  That is just so wrong.  I'm someone who needs facts to change my mind about something.  Between your previous post about criteria and this article, I've changed my mind.  They can do better.  

@Sooner@stevieb, shoutouts because you both commented.

KaliaMonet, now that the judges for the first time are no longer anonymous how can this be going on?  That article was a huge surprise to me, and not in a good way.

That's the issue I've been grappling with for years. The figure skating union and the IOC just look the other way. It's sickening. 

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I'm really not enjoying the skating...Medvedeva is perfection & I don't see anyone surpassing her.  I enjoyed the Italian ice dancing team.....  the Canadians were nice but expected and a little cocky I thought.  Bradie is technically good but just doesn't have passion, grace or elegance.....surprisingly, I enjoyed the snowboarding better

I love the snowboarding... Maybe because I have no idea how they score it, so just watch it for the acrobatics, which are plentiful and fun!

I agree. I thought the Candian pair were over-rated and the Italian pair stole the show... The Russian pair were lovely too...

@stevieb- yes the Russian pair were lovely especially the second part with the ballet music from Sleeping Beauty....

They really were @Stray, even though I take it Lapinsky doesn't like it... I also thought their costumes, while simple, were pretty, showy and elegant... Those get-ups the US couple wore looked awful, especially his top... @sfnative... A great costume can't make up for bad skating but it surely can enhance good skating and catches the eye...

@stevieb- I agree the costumes were horrible.  I thought he had perspiration stains but realized it was the "design".   They just don't do it for me.  I thought the white was elegant and when she loosened the material, I thought of Swan Lake but Sleeping Beauty is wonderful too. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

For those who think judging isn't an issue, here's an article

@KaliaMonet, wow.  I had no idea.  That is just so wrong.  I'm someone who needs facts to change my mind about something.  Between your previous post about criteria and this article, I've changed my mind.  They can do better.  

@Sooner@stevieb, shoutouts because you both commented.

KaliaMonet, now that the judges for the first time are no longer anonymous how can this be going on?  That article was a huge surprise to me, and not in a good way.

Interesting and reprehensible... @LoriLori @KaliaMonet...

So let me just come right out and say, in my opinion, while she's good and deserved her medal last time around and while she's clearly artistic, I've been thinking for some time now that some sort of fix is in for Kostner... The article lends credence to the possibillity she has friends in high places and she's one that the commentators noted at the European championships as being 'liked' by the judges... Personally, I didn't think she earned the bronze at those championships. There are others, too, I think are riding on the coat tails of their reputations and the judges appear to be going right along with it...

I don't have much of a problem with a skater's 'body of work' deciding who gets to skate, but I do have issues with that being a criteria for how any single performance is scored.

I never understood the fixation on Kostner. She has maturity, yes. But, she lacks consistency. She's also a dull skater. Let's forget she has her own skeletons. I mean, she did help her boyfriend try to cover up his doping. If she helps someone else cheat... well, everything else is questionable, especially being friendly with the judges. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

I thought the Italian ice dancers were much better than the Canadians. 

I don't care for the pairs or whatever they're called now who are so mismatched in height. They look awkward, like this man is skating with a child. It's meant to give an advantage in the lifts, obviously. Others manage without a tiny skater. I wasn't impressed with the first place pair.

The Italians were far better than Virtue and Moir. The judges missed Moir's bobble in one of the side-by-side components and how some of the moves were off in the twizzle sequence. There again, they won due to name. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I'm really not enjoying the skating...Medvedeva is perfection & I don't see anyone surpassing her.  I enjoyed the Italian ice dancing team.....  the Canadians were nice but expected and a little cocky I thought.  Bradie is technically good but just doesn't have passion, grace or elegance.....surprisingly, I enjoyed the snowboarding better

I love the snowboarding... Maybe because I have no idea how they score it, so just watch it for the acrobatics, which are plentiful and fun!

I agree. I thought the Candian pair were over-rated and the Italian pair stole the show... The Russian pair were lovely too...

The Russian ice dancers! I hope they perform their "Oblivion" long program tonight. That one makes me cry. They're one of the few ice dancers I will watch. Their long program is sweet and sad and tells a story. I don't want to give it away. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Olympic Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

Well, look at the judging for the men's long program tonight. What a joke! 

• Kolyada: Fell twice and is in second.
  • Chan: Fell, doubled a jump, program was a mess. He's in first.
  • Rizzo: Skated a clean program, had energy, and was fun. He's in fourth.
  • Rippon: Clean program save for an under-rotation. He's in third.
  • Tanaka: The only one who was scored correctly. 

So here we are again. Who's the "name" and the "veteran" in the group? Patrick Chan. Chan is placed first even though he didn't earn it. 

Kolyada was one of the worst skaters in the short program (placed eighth out of ten), then he comes back with a second place score. He's a cute kid, but his score was WAY bloated!

Rippon: Very good skate. It was clean. He under-rotated one jump, so that's a point deduction. His tech score was also lower because he took out the quad, so the judges docked a bit for that because a quad has a higher base value than the triple. (That's one thing I would change, @LoriLori: Some skaters already have higher base values than others based on previous experience. A move should have a base value, not the skater. This would help keep things even).

Rizzo: His score was fairly accurate, he's in the wrong place. What was his crime? This is his first year on the senior circuit, so he hasn't "paid his dues" yet. 

And herein lies our problem...

Regular Contributor

The women were scored close to what I expected except Sakamoto should be ahead of Carolina Kostner (better technical, artistry was stronger even though it is youthful; Her skating told a story). I had red flags when Johnny Weir said "the judges will pad her score in the component score." Really? Padding? "Friends in high places" come in again. 

Zagitova is a class by herself, but she's too polished and perfect. She reminds me of an android. A nice, perfect skating android developed for world domination. Even her emotion seems too on-cue. I wonder what the real her is really like if and when she's allowed to be an authentic self?

Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

I thought the Italian ice dancers were much better than the Canadians. 

I don't care for the pairs or whatever they're called now who are so mismatched in height. They look awkward, like this man is skating with a child. It's meant to give an advantage in the lifts, obviously. Others manage without a tiny skater. I wasn't impressed with the first place pair.

The Italians were far better than Virtue and Moir. The judges missed Moir's bobble in one of the side-by-side components and how some of the moves were off in the twizzle sequence. There again, they won due to name. 

I thought the Candian's transitions looked choppy several times. I wasn't nearly as impressed with them as they were with themselves... but I was speaking of the pairs last night, not the dancers... I was also speaking earlier of the Russian pairs from last night, who I enjoyed and thought were quite good... I do agree, though, that the Italian dancers were preferable to Virtue and Moir, who are also quite impressed with themselves...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...