Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Tired of the back and forth broadcasting and the frustrating scoring that never makes sense and always seems biased.  Not worth trying to pay attention and take the bologna about the scoring. 

@Sooner, I disagree about the scoring.  I think they've removed as much bias as they can and made it as fair as it will ever be.  There are mandatory deductions and bonuses, reviewed elements and some room for artistry, as well as this being the first Olympics where the judges are not anonymous -- how would you improve on it?

Scoring is still biased, I hate to tell you. Even Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski point out how it's still biased because judges consider "a name" and "experience" in the judging. That's why someone like Jason Brown gets high points even if he turns a stinker of a program vs. someone who's just starting out and skates a clean program (i.e., Nationals).

Just look at last night: Caitlyn Osmond from Canada two-footed several jumps and had hand touches, but she came in ahead of Satoko Miyahara who had a better skate and a cleaner program despite one under-rotation. Osmond is a "name" while Miyahara is just having a "good season" if you listen to the announcers and people in skating. So, yes, judging is still biased. 

@KaliaMonet I too thought it was pretty glaring that some of those 'expected to do well' seemed to have been given the benefit of the doubt... 

And @stevieb, I'll ask you the same question:  How would you change it to make it fairer?  Given that there's leeway in the artistry and given the changes they've made I repeat, I think it's as fair as it can be and not one of the three of you who responded have posted what more can be done.

@LoriLori I'm not a skating expert so it isn't for me to say how judging could be less subjective and idiosyncratic. Unlike baseball, for example, where you either score a home run or you don't, judging something where personal perceptions is a big factor is a whole different animal. Even given that there are judgement calls to be made in all sports (was it fair or was it foul, did his foot touch the base, were both feet inside the line, and so on) it's more of a factor with something like skating, where judges perspective, probably both intentionally and unintentionally, can be influenced by several factors. I'm not saying it could be made more fair and I'm surely not in a position to say how, but I do think judging events like these are a bit more art than science. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Medal count as of 2/10/18 (USofA dating).....

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at Sun, Feb 11, 2018-2.20.20 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Sunday, Feb. 11

1:30-5:30 p.m. -- Mixed Doubles Curling (tiebreaker), NBCSN
1:30-5:30 p.m. -- Men's Luge (singles gold medal final runs), NBCSN
5:30-8 p.m. -- Men's Biathlon (10km sprint gold medal final), NBCSN
3-6 p.m. -- Men's Speed Skating (5,000m gold medal final), NBC
3-6 p.m. -- Men's Biathlon – (10km sprint gold medal final), NBC
3-6 p.m. -- Men's Cross-Country Skiing (skiathlon gold medal final), NBC
7-11 p.m. -- Team Figure Skating (team event gold medal final), NBC (LIVE)
7-11 p.m. -- Women's Alpine Skiing (giant slalom), NBC (LIVE)
7-11 p.m. -- Women's Freestyle Skiing (moguls gold medal final), NBC (LIVE)
7-11 p.m. -- Women's Snowboard (slopestyle gold medal final), NBC (LIVE)
7-11 p.m. -- Men's Luge (singles gold medal final runs), NBC (LIVE)
8-9:45 p.m. -- Women's Snowboarding (slopestyle gold medal final), NBCSN (LIVE)
9:45 p.m. -- Mixed Doubles Curling (semifinal, teams TBD), NBCSN
11:30 p.m-1 a.m. -- Men's Speed Skating (5000m gold medal final), NBCSN
11:35 p.m.-1 a.m. -- Women's Alpine Skiing (giant slalom gold medal final), NBC (LIVE)
11:35 p.m.-1 a.m. -- Women's Snowboarding (halfpipe qualifying), NBC (LIVE)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I'm not here for the U.S. figure skating team.  I still think the team is lackluster.  I love good skating and so far, it's the Russian ladies.  I'm still waiting forAlina Zagatova tonight  and her program should blow everyone out of the arena.   And no I don't think the Judges are biased . You don't need a score card to know how good the Russian ladies are 

Of course it's lots of time yet.  Chen might pull himself together, but I'm not holding my breath.  It's a quad or out the door.  That's the kind of skater he is. I have no interest in ice dance, but I think the glory years for the U.S. in that discipline  is over.  Just as it's over for the U.S. ladies.  Excellent skating for the U.S. comes in waves.  But not now.  Figure skating (rating wise) is over.  Just not as popular as it once was.

Regular Contributor

For those who think judging isn't an issue, here's an article

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

Bradie Tennell so good last night, no nerves on her.

Here's my problem and I hope someone can help me:  I fell asleep before Medvedeva (that is so hard to type!) and missed the pairs free skate.

I thought I found it on Comcast On Demand but it turned out to be Scott Hamilton and Tanith White (as boring as her husband) and someone else gabbing the whole time with teeny little clips of the skating.

People with Comcast, can you help?  I'm so angry that it's not available On Demand, none of it.  I pay so much already, do you have to pay extra for X1 to watch On Demand on your tv (not your computer or tablet, I want to watch on my tv and it's not a smart tv).

@LoriLori All I know is Bradie Tennell should have won. She was fabulous. I agree with other posters that it’s biased.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Bradie Tennell so good last night, no nerves on her.

Here's my problem and I hope someone can help me:  I fell asleep before Medvedeva (that is so hard to type!) and missed the pairs free skate.

I thought I found it on Comcast On Demand but it turned out to be Scott Hamilton and Tanith White (as boring as her husband) and someone else gabbing the whole time with teeny little clips of the skating.

People with Comcast, can you help?  I'm so angry that it's not available On Demand, none of it.  I pay so much already, do you have to pay extra for X1 to watch On Demand on your tv (not your computer or tablet, I want to watch on my tv and it's not a smart tv).

@LoriLori All I know is Bradie Tennell should have won. She was fabulous. I agree with other posters that it’s biased.

Here's a link on youtube.  Hope you can see it.  She deserved first place with that skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-fWZGc1dA

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@stevieb  I just might start doing the sme thing...recording it.  While it's nice to see who wins , it's really not that improtant to me.  I just love watching skating!

I had to laugh when I was watching ice dancing last night.  In the upper right hand corner of the screen it said "live".  I'm sure it was not!

@haddon9-----I am not 100% certain but I do think it was live.

There is a 14 hour difference. When it was 8:00pm NY time Saturday night, it was 10:00am Sunday morning in SK.

This makes sense to me.

Super Contributor

Ice skating involves both art & athleticism. While Bradie Tennell is great technically, no artistry! I pass on her.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

For those who think judging isn't an issue, here's an article

@KaliaMonet, wow.  I had no idea.  That is just so wrong.  I'm someone who needs facts to change my mind about something.  Between your previous post about criteria and this article, I've changed my mind.  They can do better.  

@Sooner@stevieb, shoutouts because you both commented.

KaliaMonet, now that the judges for the first time are no longer anonymous how can this be going on?  That article was a huge surprise to me, and not in a good way.