Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I don't like the way NBC is presenting ice skating.  Two or three here and there and then back to the mountains.  It's confusing and I'm not going to try to watch it anymore.  I'll try to catch the women's finals, that's about it.

Not even to mention the one skate to five commercial ratio... At some point, the ad supported networks need to be regulated... And while it's not just the Olympics or any other 'special' broadcast, it's probably most glaring with them. They flash back and forth to the various events to try to ensure viewers will stay tuned for the sake of ratings and probably to appease advertisers, you know, so you won't miss the avalanche of ads...

@stevieb  This is the part I dislike the most...WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS!  I guess I've gotten used to watching shows either on demand or recording them and I skip any ads.  Not so when you're trying to watch it "live"....

A little off topic but is it really "live"?  Ice dancing shown to us in prime time but what time is it there in S. Korea?  ...8am or so?

@haddon9 The commercials are a deal-breaker for many... As for the 'is it live or is it Memorex' question, I have no idea... But the 'beauty' to the networks of videotape is they can edit together the snippets they want to show in the way they want to show them. That way, they can better ensure prime time ratings and ad revenue... On the other hand, I probably wouldn't be getting up early just to watch ice skating... I'll tell you, though, I might DVR the rest of the skating... For me, the suspense of who will win the medals is secondary and at least I'd be able to watch the performances without having to endure the billion mindless and mind-numbing commercials.

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb  I just might start doing the sme thing...recording it.  While it's nice to see who wins , it's really not that improtant to me.  I just love watching skating!

I had to laugh when I was watching ice dancing last night.  In the upper right hand corner of the screen it said "live".  I'm sure it was not!

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@stevieb  I just might start doing the sme thing...recording it.  While it's nice to see who wins , it's really not that improtant to me.  I just love watching skating!

I had to laugh when I was watching ice dancing last night.  In the upper right hand corner of the screen it said "live".  I'm sure it was not!

@haddon9-----I am not 100% certain but I do think it was live.

There is a 14 hour difference. When it was 8:00pm NY time Saturday night, it was 10:00am Sunday morning in SK.

Regular Contributor

wrote:

Bradie Tennell so good last night, no nerves on her.

Here's my problem and I hope someone can help me:  I fell asleep before Medvedeva (that is so hard to type!) and missed the pairs free skate.

I thought I found it on Comcast On Demand but it turned out to be Scott Hamilton and Tanith White (as boring as her husband) and someone else gabbing the whole time with teeny little clips of the skating.

People with Comcast, can you help?  I'm so angry that it's not available On Demand, none of it.  I pay so much already, do you have to pay extra for X1 to watch On Demand on your tv (not your computer or tablet, I want to watch on my tv and it's not a smart tv).

The pretty much want you to watch on the NBC Sports website or app if you have Comcast if you want to watch full programs. On Demand only shows the chats or "highlights." It's been this way the past few Olympics. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@KaliaMonet. it's the being live that's throwing me, I just can't stay up that late.  I'll get the app.  Thanks!

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Tired of the back and forth broadcasting and the frustrating scoring that never makes sense and always seems biased.  Not worth trying to pay attention and take the bologna about the scoring. 

@Sooner, I disagree about the scoring.  I think they've removed as much bias as they can and made it as fair as it will ever be.  There are mandatory deductions and bonuses, reviewed elements and some room for artistry, as well as this being the first Olympics where the judges are not anonymous -- how would you improve on it?

Scoring is still biased, I hate to tell you. Even Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski point out how it's still biased because judges consider "a name" and "experience" in the judging. That's why someone like Jason Brown gets high points even if he turns a stinker of a program vs. someone who's just starting out and skates a clean program (i.e., Nationals).

Just look at last night: Caitlyn Osmond from Canada two-footed several jumps and had hand touches, but she came in ahead of Satoko Miyahara who had a better skate and a cleaner program despite one under-rotation. Osmond is a "name" while Miyahara is just having a "good season" if you listen to the announcers and people in skating. So, yes, judging is still biased. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I don't like the way NBC is presenting ice skating.  Two or three here and there and then back to the mountains.  It's confusing and I'm not going to try to watch it anymore.  I'll try to catch the women's finals, that's about it.

Not even to mention the one skate to five commercial ratio... At some point, the ad supported networks need to be regulated... And while it's not just the Olympics or any other 'special' broadcast, it's probably most glaring with them. They flash back and forth to the various events to try to ensure viewers will stay tuned for the sake of ratings and probably to appease advertisers, you know, so you won't miss the avalanche of ads...

@stevieb  This is the part I dislike the most...WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS!  I guess I've gotten used to watching shows either on demand or recording them and I skip any ads.  Not so when you're trying to watch it "live"....

A little off topic but is it really "live"?  Ice dancing shown to us in prime time but what time is it there in S. Korea?  ...8am or so?

It is really live. 7pm is Prime Time in Chicago, so that's 10am in Korea. Yes, the skating does start that early. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

It was live. Smiley Indifferent Many of the sports start at 8am, 9am, and 10am over there. I'm in Chicago right now, so 7pm our time is 10am Korea Time. So when skating starts tonight at 6pm, it'll be 9am Monday Korea Time. 

Regular Contributor

wrote:

@KaliaMonet. it's the being live that's throwing me, I just can't stay up that late.  I'll get the app.  Thanks!

You're welcome. The app is confusing though! So, be prepared for that. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

@haddon9

It was 10 PM IN NY and 12 noon in Korea, they are 14 hours a head of the East Coast.

ETA wow my  email was showing- huge goof

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.