Honored Contributor

Truthfully I rarely pay attention to the passing of famous people, but Olympia played one of my favorite characters , Clairee Belcher, in Steel Magnolias. It is my favorite movie. I know she was in many movies, but to me she'll always be Clairee telling Ouiser, " You know I love you more than my Luggage. "  She was 89.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My favorite scene in Steel Magnolias was when Clairee olympia Dukakis) and Ouiser (Shirley MacLaine) were in the locker room after the local football game. Clairee was interviewing the coach, babbling about the decor in the locker room and the color of the uniforms, while Ouiser was pretending to fix her makeup but was really using her compact mirror to surrepetitiously check out the "equipment" on the young men running around in various states of undress. 😈 That was a great movie! 

Another talented actress gone. May she rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

She was a great character actor.   

RIP dear lady.

Respected Contributor

I remember her best in Moonstruck- A fave movie of mine... Yes, rip. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Olympia Dukakis RIP

[ Edited ]

Olympia Dukakis — THE NEW YORK DRAMA CENTER

An impressive career.  Always smart and expressive.

I especially liked her in The Idolmaker, Mr. Holland's Opus and Away from Her.

Olympia Dukakis | The Library | Fandom

Godspeed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I so loved Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck, one of my top movie favorites.  Loving NY and familiar with the environment and Italian atmosphere, she represented both in her performance.

I am sad to hear of her passing, she left her mark in the movie world.  May she be at peace with God.  

Esteemed Contributor

I only know her from Steel Magnolias. She was so good in that. Just a natural where you forget she is acting. I really need to see Moonstruck, everyone seems to like that movie.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I only know her from Steel Magnolias. She was so good in that. Just a natural where you forget she is acting. I really need to see Moonstruck, everyone seems to like that movie.

@Nancy Drew Moonstuck is the best! And so was  Olympia Dukakis. Woman Sad It seems she was in failing health for many months, may she RIP.

Trusted Contributor

She and Shirley McClain (sp?) were so funny together in "Steel Magnolias!"