Esteemed Contributor

Old movies that you never watched when you were younger

I like watching TCM as I like most old movies. And of course there are plenty of old movies that I never watched when I was younger or even in re-runs on TV. One that I never watched as a kid that I like now is "Kiss Me Kate".

How did I ever miss this gem? Howard Keel is gorgeous and his singing voice is mesmerizing. All the Cole Porter songs are outstanding.

And the dancing by Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bob Fosse, and Carol Haney is wonderful.

I recorded this on my PVR and have watched it many times.

Respected Contributor

Re: Old movies that you never watched when you were younger

I was well into adulthood before I ever watched "It's a Wonderful Life".    I really don't know why because I watched most every other older christmas movie.

My favorite one was "Miracle on 34th St."   

Valued Contributor

This got me thinking of a Judy Garland movie that I can't remember the name of and couldn't find it in her long list of credits. It was remade in modern times as You've Got Mail, only the movie was back when they exchanged letters and they were coworkers. Anyone remember the title?

Respected Contributor

I never watched movies much until fairly recently, so I guess that means my answer to your question is most. But it's great to get so much enjoyment out of movies from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80', 90's ... at this time in my life. Love TCM, and also stzwesterns and Retro.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IMissSuperPoke wrote:

This got me thinking of a Judy Garland movie that I can't remember the name of and couldn't find it in her long list of credits. It was remade in modern times as You've Got Mail, only the movie was back when they exchanged letters and they were coworkers. Anyone remember the title?

"In The Good Ole Summertime"....which is a remake of "Shop Around The Corner" with Jimmy Stewart and Maggie Sullivan

trivia

"Shop Around The Corner" is the name of Meg Ryans bookstore

and

"in The Good Ole Summertime" as Liza Minnelli's film debut..she is seen in last scene .....she was 2...

Esteemed Contributor

@IMissSuperPoke wrote:

Have you ever seen "A Child is Waiting?"

Incredible performance by Judy Garland........

Contributor

Last night I was watching a movie from the 1920's and it was a silent movie and I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

Growing up in NY, we used to have something called the 4:30 movie that came on after all the soap operas.  My sister, being the oldest, was in charge of the tv, so we watched what she watched and she watched these old movies all the time.

I didn't appreciate most of them until I was much older.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

When I was a kid - elementary school age - I would sneak downstairs after my parents went to bed and watch the Late Show (then it meant movies) or the Late Late Show. I liked old movies then and I like old movies now. 

When I got older I would set my alarm to get up to watch old movies and record them on video tapes - back in the day.

Honored Contributor

Too long ago to remember that. LOL