Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old(er?) movies have you watched lately that you enjoyed

A League of their Own......

"There's no crying in baseball!"....LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Meatballs, Jaws, Parent Trap and Independence Day. My summer movies sort of speak.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Re: old movies have you watched lately that you enjoyed

@Tangocash wrote:

I just watched, for the very 1st time, West Side Story last night. Yes, I'd seen bits and parts, while looking for something else, but because I turned it on, just as it started, I watched. I had no idea, other than great dancing, what it was really all about. I'm glad I watched it.

West Side Story is a favorite of mine, too.   I fall apart at the end every time.  But I've always been a huge fan of Natalie Wood (RIP) and Rita Moreno.

Somebody also mentioned Fried Green Tomatoes.  I love that movie so much!  Also huge fan of Kathy Bates and the numerous other great women in that movie.  It was so much fun getting to see several of the sites from the movie years ago, in addition to having lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

I'm the same as another poster with Dirty Dancing.  If I come across it I must watch the end - for the zillionth time.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Million Dollar Mermaid with Victor Mature and Esther Williams.  Based on a true story.  I had never watched any EW movie before seeing this, but it was very entertaining.  It seems of all the movies she made, this was her favorite.

Honored Contributor

kaydee50,

Ah, Million Dollar Mermaid!  One of my all-time favorite movies that I recently watched again (and recorded) on TCM.  

My memory of this movie is indelible as it is tied to my childhood and my favorite childhood movie star.  For several years in a row, MGM released its gala and glitzy Esther Williams extravaganzas at Christmas time.  How can I ever forget visiting my grandma and grandpa in Pennsylvania with my 24 first cousins and nine sets of aunts and uncles?

Grandma always cooked big because, in her heyday, she fed a family of 12, three times a day.  To accommodate table overload on Christmas, my grandparents would feed their 26 grandchildren our Christmas meal and then send us all off to the Rialto or the Strand movie theater.  (I cannot remember which movie house we entered for Million Dollar Mermaid.)  The movies were about 1 1/2 blocks from my grandparents' home, and we'd all march there, with the oldest kids leading the way.  Grandpa foot the bill.  Then, the adults would sit down to enjoy their meal while the kiddos enjoyed the big and splashy movie.

I'll never forget the spectacle of Million Dollar Mermaid when I viewed it for the first time that delightful Christmas Day.  Fond memories that I reignite whenever I watch that classic water ballet film again.  The story of Annette Kellerman, which the movie loosely follows, is also inspiring. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76   What a great story!  And I don't mean the movie!!!  I was wondering if anyone would acknowledge this movie but so glad you did!  It seems that Million Dollar Mermaid is considered her best.  Yes, the Busby Berkeley water ballet at the end is quite something.

Glad I could bring back good memories for you!  Stay safe!

Trusted Contributor

I'm watchin "Jezebel" right now with Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. This weekend I've also watched "Jaws", "The Brothers Karamazov", "The Journey", both with You Brynner. (Sigh). I watch mainly old movies. There are very few newer ones that are any good.

Honored Contributor

The Three Faces of Eve(saw it for the 1st time-really liked it).

Also watched fairly recently Marathon Man-love that with Dustin Hoffman and Roy Scheider and the marvelous Laurence Olivier....

Respected Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@Pearlee  I was not aware of that , but interesting . It stands up in time to being one of the best. 

@LyndaGee  Cagney was talented. I remember in my youth how every impersonator had him in their act. I think he did a dance scene in the old Bob Hope movie " The Seven Little Foys " That was an old movie that I used to watch occasionally. I did a search in the roku  and it  wouldn't even show up. Smiley Sad 

That movie sounds great.  Hopefully, it will pop up on AMC some time.  Thanks !!!

I have heard comedians impersonate Cagney with a line from one of his gangster movies: "You dirty rat"!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I can watch Dirty Dancing and Top Gun over and over and over....  I watched Legally Blonde over the weekend.  I've watched once before but I enjoyed it far more this time than I did originally.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown