Respected Contributor

Old(er?) movies have you watched lately that you enjoyed

[ Edited ]

(Inspired by what old books, etc. thread)

For me, it was "Patch Adams" - outstanding!  Don't know how I missed it.

Also watched 3-part mini series from the History Channel - "Hatfields and McCoys".  2012 with Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton, Tom Beringer.  Just beware, STARZ mislabled them.  Part 1 was really Part 2.  Part 1 starts with Civil War scenes.

Denise
Valued Contributor

Re: old movies have you watched lately that you enjoyed

We have some on tape that I love to watch over and over, my favorite being The Bird Cage. Whenever I need to laugh (which is about now) , we put it on. I have a couple of guilty pleasures that I catch on tv, including Dirty Dancing and Overboard. I don't even like Goldie Hawn, but that movie is cute. And I always love watching Dirty Dancing!  I am sure that there are more, but those are the three that come to mind.

Valued Contributor

Re: Old(er?) movies have you watched lately that you enjoyed

My husband and I have been watching (recording) TCM on Saturday night at midnight. They show film noir movies. They also replay them on Sunday at 10 a.m. They are mainly from the late 40's-late 50's. An occasional one if from the early 60's. They are a nice change of pace and are really very good...

Honored Contributor

@cotto22 wrote:

We have some on tape that I love to watch over and over, my favorite being The Bird Cage. Whenever I need to laugh (which is about now) , we put it on. I have a couple of guilty pleasures that I catch on tv, including Dirty Dancing and Overboard. I don't even like Goldie Hawn, but that movie is cute. And I always love watching Dirty Dancing!  I am sure that there are more, but those are the three that come to mind.

Those are some great pics!  I love all of them.  Another one that is pretty hilarious, but I haven't seen it lately, is Night Shift.   This was Ronny Howard's directorial debut and starred Michael Keaton, Henry Winkler, Shelly Long, and others who don't come to mind in the moment.   Great stuff.   

Speaking of Ronny Howard, American Graffiti was another good one.  He starred along with quite a few really good actors.   When it came out I went to the movies to see it at least 10 times, taking different friends to see it and everybody enjoyed it.

Super Contributor

I just watched, for the very 1st time, West Side Story last night. Yes, I'd seen bits and parts, while looking for something else, but because I turned it on, just as it started, I watched. I had no idea, other than great dancing, what it was really all about. I'm glad I watched it.

A couple of nights ago, my BF and I sat through Gone With The Wind. I had seen it many times, but he never saw it. Of course, it was very good!

Honored Contributor

Back in the early 90's Lifetime made excellent movies.  My all time favorite was "Love, Honor & Obey: The Last Mafia Marriage."  

The true story of Rosalie Bonnano, the daughter of a powerful New York Mafia boss who married the son of her father's rival, Joseph Bonanno another powerful New York Mafia boss.

I have the movie on DVD to watch at my leisure which I did 2 nights/mornings ago.  It's a long tv movie 2 1/2 hrs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@cotto22 wrote:

@cotto22   I'm with you on these movies. I laugh so much watching The Bird Cage and I have no sense of humor! I don't know why I have to watch Overboard whenever it's on but I do. And I do like Goldie. Dirty Dancing also a great movie.

Honored Contributor

A very good suspense film with a great ending is Shattered starring Tom Berenger (in his prime hunkiest) . Bonus: The Moody Blues Nights in White Satin plays all through it. The wonderful Bob Hoskins is also in it as a Private investgstor.
Honored Contributor

Ugh my phone!, "investigator"
Respected Contributor

Oh boy, ya'll have brought up some favorites.  Don't know how many times I've seen Dirty Dancing, but if I were flipping channels right now, I'd HAVE to see the ending dance. Just a guilty but mesmorizing pleasure.

Denise