Honored Contributor

Old Movie-Out of Africa!!!!!

[ Edited ]

I finally watched this movie Saturday night in its entirety, and I thought it was so good! Boy does Brad Pitt remind me of a younger Robert Redford...I thought both Meryl and Robert did a great job in this movie, I really enjoyed it! Can't believe ti took me this long to watch it! lol!

Honored Contributor

Re: Old Movie-Out of Africa!!!!!

It is a great movie!  We saw it in the theatre when it came out because I had read the author's work before that.  They don't make movies like they used to!  

Honored Contributor

Also such beautiful scenery!!!!! Forgot to mention that...

Honored Contributor

Meryl's ability with accents is amazing.  I always picture Redford opposite her in The Bridges of Madison County instead of Clint Eastwood.

And agree, the photography in Out of Africa is stunning.

Respected Contributor

Me too, @CANDLEQUEEN! I had seen bits and pieces here and there but never the entire movie until this weekend. I did enjoy it and find myself thinking of it quite a bit. Maybe it's the somewhat serene nature and tone of it that was comforting at this time.  

Honored Contributor

Is it on one of the streaming services or did you get it from the library?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

It was on TCM over the weekend!

Trusted Contributor

I love this movie! I've seen it more times than I can count. It's on my mental list of movies I can watch at any given moment.❤️

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN   Yes-   Saw it so long ago that only the scenery remains in my memory.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched it once again and swooned, as I always have.  That theme that swells up in the background every so often -- at important moments in their relationship -- always brings my heart along with it.

Phenomenally beautiful movie.  And yes, during her movie-making heyday, Meryl was renowned for her mastery of accents. 

[For whatever it is worth, I was more moved than ever by Karen's (Meryl) reading of A.E. Housman's "To an Athlete Dying Young" at the conclusion of Denys' funeral service.  I have always loved that poem.]