Trusted Contributor

Re: Old Movie-Out of Africa!!!!!

My second all time favorite movie. When Denys washes Karen's hair, I start to cry and don't stop for the rest of the movie, knowing how it's going to end.

When Meryl begs at the feet of the administrator to help the people on her land, it gets me everytime too.

Glad you enjoyed it OP. It's a classic and based on a true story.

@golding76 for you:

"The time you won your town the race, we chaired you through the marketplace;

man and boy stood cheering by, as home we brought you shoulder-high.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away from fields where glory does not stay.

Early though the laurel grows, It withers quicker than a rose.

Now you will not swell the rout of lads that wore their honors out.

Runners whom renown outran, and the name died 'fore the man.

And round that early-laureled head will flock to gaze the strengthless dead

and find unwithered on its curls a garland briefer than a girl's."

Now take back the soul of Denys George Finch-Hatton whom you have shared with us. He brought us joy, and we loved him well. He was not ours. He was not mine.

Honored Contributor

JamandBread, after I added being moved by the poem, the scene when Karen grovels (yes, grovels and begs the administrator) for the land for those who worked for her came into my mind.  Very moving.  Very revealing of her goodness.

Also of note was the stepping forward of the administrator's wife to ensure that the commitment to do so would be honored.   That woman-to-woman connection of truth-telling and no crappola was stirring.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 I think Eastwood brings a grittiness and 

manliness to the role. Not that Brad Pitt makes anything look bad. I cry every time I watch that movie,

one of my favorites.

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched it many times and every time seem to see something different. Great movie and acting! 

Valued Contributor

I rewatched this movie too. So beautifully down. Cried during the scenes many have mentioned. I thought Meryl looked so beautiful and of course, Redford is his usual sexy aloof self. Too slow for DH but a favorite for me.

So enjoying TCM Oscar month. Watched Ghandi before. Amazing.

And, The Miracle Worker, another favorite on Sunday. 
No profanity or overly sexual themes. Just pure classics.

Don't think I have seen any of the movies nominated this year. Oh, well.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

Although I've watched it before, I tuned in and tried to watch again knowing the ending.

Very beautiful and moving and I love the slower pace and how the story develops.  I could not watch it all the way through as I was already crying Cat LOL

They were a good match on screen...each seeming to be at their peak of skill and beauty.

It must have been a wonderful movie to film.

Contributor

If you love the movie, please read the book. It's a fabulous book and she captures the atmosphere of the place in a way the movie can't. Great storyteller!