Honored Contributor

Odd question S*x and the Single Girl movie

I caught part of the 1960s movie S*x and the Single Girl, with Natalie Wood, Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, and Lauren Bacall.

There was a scene in which Curtis and Fonda were washing their hands in the mens room.  Above the sinks were these odd contraptions into which they put coins.  First, the coins triggered the mirrors to briefly rise, then they apparently a choice of after shave sprays.  

I couldn't find anything online about it.  I'm assuming these things were made up for the movie.

Does anyone know for sure?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Odd question S*x and the Single Girl movie

I seem to remember these kinds of things in bathrooms past where you put in a coin and got perfume, sanitary napkins. Long ago.

I could be wrong but I remember some.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @on the bay

I'm familiar with the basic vending machines we still sometimes have today, but these in the movie were pretty over-the-top!  Woman LOL

I think they enhanced whatever was common back then for the movie.

Although maybe not as over-the-top as some of these:

https://www.huffingtonpost DOT com/entry/vintage-vending-machines_us_5697cf86e4b0778f46f86016

Here's a "Perfumatic" from 1952:

Related image

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Hello, Hope you are doing well.

I have not seen the movie, but a machine similar to the one pictured is in the ladies room of the old Student Union on the campus of my university.  The building is quite old, but was refurbished during the 50s.  I understand it was THE spot for soldiers and co-eds to hang our and dance during the war.

The building is now used as a theater for the drama department, but all the interesting pieces such as this have been left.  

Can't speak for what might be in the men's room, but I just might check it out the next time I'm in the area!  Smiley Happy

Sending a kiss on the nose to Kiku!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Very cool, @Drythe  That's a great bit of history.  

Kiku appreciates the nose kiss.  She will even have fresher breath tomorrow, if you want to hold off.  Woman Very Happy  Tomorrow she's getting her teeth cleaned.  As usual, Mom is always nervous, but I know she'll be sparkly and new-and-improved by the time I pick her up.

Fingers crossed all teeth and roots are healthy so none have to come out.

And we should be able to narrow down her age with the x-rays, too.

Ear scratches to Ralphie.  How is he doing?

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Please forgive Ralphie for not being a better corospondent.  His Grand Paw, my Dad, has been in the hospital.  I've just been posting short notes from my phone.

Things are better with him, and Ralphie and I will write to you tonight. Heart

Very Best wishes to you and Miss Kiku tomorrow, it is scary when you have NO control, isn't it?  We will all be thinking of both of you in the AM.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Several years ago I attended a wedding. And someone mentioned that in the ladies room there were baskets of individual toiletry items, including perfume.

So of course we had to go and check it out. What a nice assortment of everything you could imagine. And baskets of all kinds of different perfumes. Not sure if the bride's family brought in all the baskets or the venue where the wedding was held. We suspected that the bride's family paid for the niceties and the venue supplied everything.

I do remember years ago that there were sometimes bottles of lotions, hair spray and perfume bottles in ladies rooms, in restaurants. And an attendant handing out towels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.  Worries are worries, no matter how big or small the patient.

We are thinking good thoughts for you all.  Kiku is really good at sending happy thoughts!   

Related image

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.  Worries are worries, no matter how big or small the patient.

We are thinking good thoughts for you all.  Kiku is really good at sending happy thoughts!   

Related image

@GingerPeach

Oh My Gosh!

Just look at that happy, happy face.  I've never seen anything like it.

I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you so much.

You put a real smile on my face!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Drythe

I just "got" the Grand Paw!  You are so clever!