Honored Contributor

Re: Obit notices, why don't they list next of kin?

I haven't read all the replies but when each of my parents died, we wrote the obituaries and sent them to the newspaper. They were not short. We detailed many parts of their lives as we came from a small town and they were known by many. The charge to put in the paper wasn't cheap.

Honored Contributor

I figure when I croak nobody will know who I was anyway.  

Won't matter to me. . . 

Esteemed Contributor

@gnomie1 wrote:

Due to identity theft of the deceased and their family, it is now recommened that families should avoid public obituaries or keep them simple with little family information. Identity theft among the deceased is a huge problem and many jurisdictions allow the Executor to "Seal" a Will, which means it cannot be viewed by anyone without the necessary authorization.

Whenever an Estate comes into the office, we immediately contact the IRS and set up PIN requirements for any filing with the deceased social security number and we advise the family to monitor their credit reports for a minimum of two years after death.

In addition to identity theft, also after a death, survivors are slammed with telephone calls, emails, letters all in an attempt to scam the family and too many people fall victim. Unfortunately, there are too many people who appear to the survivors as providing much needed assistance but in actuality are up to no good.

With the use of social media, it is relatively easy to quickly notify others of a death without making it known to those who do not need to know.

when my mom died in 1981.....we put her home address in her obit!!  SMH......

Respected Contributor

Hahaha. Me too @Sooner 

@Sooner wrote:

I figure when I croak nobody will know who I was anyway.  

Won't matter to me. . . 

Honored Contributor

I look at obituaries all the time.  They run the gamut.  It's up to the family how much is listed.

Honored Contributor

ITA.  What you see is how ever much info the families want to post.  I don't see the need to have every little thing on there, but then I don't even want one for me unless there is no way out of it.  Is an obit required?  I don't even know.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Like spouses and children.  Is this for privacy reasons?  Bob Saget, Dwayne Hickman, neither notice lists survivors.  

@depglass 

I saw the obit for Bob Saget and it listed his wife and kids.

Honored Contributor

They do provide those things real obituaties but not always in the news stories about deaths.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

ITA.  What you see is how ever much info the families want to post.  I don't see the need to have every little thing on there, but then I don't even want one for me unless there is no way out of it.  Is an obit required?  I don't even know.

In Arizona you don't have to have one. My aunt and mom didn't have one. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt Then when people reach 100 and over, there are fewer people who have interest in the details and all the "survived by" may be down to one or none. . .