Honored Contributor

ORIGINAL ADAM DALGLIESH MYSTERIES PBS NOW ONLINE

845x1200.jpg

I can't believe it!   The original British series, which played here on PBS in the 1980's to 1990's.   Yes, yes, there have been newer versions,  but no one who saw Roy Marsden as Adam Dalgliesh will accept any other (at least, I won't).

Based on the novels of premier English detective novelist, P.D. James.  "Inspector Adam Dalgliesh" of Scotland Yard was her singularly memorable creation.   Her literate, brilliantly conceived mysteries are considered by critics to be among the handful of British best.  High praise.

Having charismatic Roy Marsden play Dalgliesh was key.  That unreadable gaze, the blue eyes like a faded chambray shirt. 

Dalgliesh is supposed to be very good looking.  Marsden is nice looking, but not the "show-stopper" that supposedly Dalgliesh is.  It doesn't matter.  He IS Dalgliesh-- reserved, cerebral, enigmatic, a published poet as well as policeman.  See if you don't think Marsden's beautiful voice plays a big part in his appeal, which grows over the course of the series.

pd-james3.png

P.D. James and Roy Marsden.  I can't think that she'd be less than thrilled with his portrayal...

If you watch online, one of the best ones, "Devices and Desires" might be a good place to start.  You can later order DVDs of the show if it appeals to you. 

In Episode One of "Devices and Desires",  Dalgliesh's late Aunt Jane has left him her converted windmill cottage in Norfolk.  While he's there to settle affairs, he's drawn into the social life of employees and scientists at the coastal Larksoken power station, when murder strikes.

0a42013c-b5e1-47e4-9efb-a1883b03a2e6.7b09b9310eb6193abe4de980e31ea61a.jpeg

This one has lovely players like Susannah York and Gemma Jones.  (In every episode, there have to be women susceptible to Dalgliesh's patented sensitivity, ha.)

Oh, another thing-- the famously haunting theme music is an almost universal favorite with viewers--  people who first heard it as a child can still remember it.  I'd say it almost rivals the celebrated Pete Rugolo score for "The Fugitive".   And that's saying a lot!

And if you want to read P.D. James, the one I'm reading right now is wonderful--  "The Lighthouse".   Adam Dalgliesh is summoned to an island off the coast of Cornwall, where a famous novelist has been murdered, hanging from a lighthouse.  The island is an exclusive retreat for the movers and shakers of society, accomplished people who need to unwind in a peaceful setting.  And one of them (or more) had murder on his mind...

Or you could start by reading another favorite,  "Shroud for a Nightengale". Dalgleish roots out shocking secrets and murder among nursing students in a famous teaching hospital... 

I'll post the link to Episode One of the free streaming "Devices and Desires" below in the next post.  This one has gone on long-windedly enough!

Honored Contributor

Re: ORIGINAL ADAM DALGLIESH MYSTERIES PBS NOW ONLINE

"Devices and Desires"  Episode One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCE78WtWOo

Valued Contributor

I'm not familar with the books or PBS programs. I'll have to look it up!

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @Sweet Kitties --  if you do, would like to hear your opinion. 

I've been binging on "Devices....",  up to episode 4.   And I forgot to mention one more important thing.  If anyone is keen on English cottages, and interiors of all kinds, this series is heaven.  All on location, of course.  Old rectories, Dalgliesh's converted windmill, quaint cottages of every stripe...

And in "Devices and Desires",  the Norfolk landscape is so striking.   Flat in every direction, so the wind whistles and blows.  So flat, like the Netherlands.  Dunes, blowing grasses, the pounding, wild sea.   

Respected Contributor

Terrific series, as is the P.D. James books. It doesn't get better than this. Fabulous acting, great scripts.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks.  I agree about Roy Marsden but have only seen a couple.  I'm a PBS subscriber so I'll have to see what the other episodes are.

If you have Acorn, they just introduced a new series with Bertie Carvel.  I did really like him too.  Right now there are 6 episodes: parts 1 and 2 of Shroud of a Nightingale, Taste of Death, and Black Tower.

Honored Contributor

My pleasure, @IMW .   I could not contain my excitement at finding these so accessible now.  Your assessment of P.D. James and the Dalgleish series is gratifying, since your taste in books and films is always spot on.

Good to know, thanks for passing that on, @Tadaki .  I've heard promising things about Bertie Carvel.  I'm just such a hopeless Roy Marsden partisan!  But anything that brings attention to P.D. James' sterling body of work is all to the good.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the too kind words. PD James and Ruth Rendell are my absolute favorite mystery writers. 

I've moved on to Michael Connelly (Bosch books and series), Tanya French and  of course the Scandinavians----- Jo Nesbo, Wallender books and series.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @IMW ,  glad other worthy mystery writers getting highlighted here...