Esteemed Contributor

Re: ON NOW - Dirty Dancing remake

@doodles76 wrote:

Loved it!! Don't see how you can criticize the dancing or singing. 

Compared to the original, there was no comparison, IMO.

And even not compared to the original, the dancing wasn't very good.  I think a big problem is that the leads were extremely miscast.  But the overall quality was just awful, and I would have felt that way whether or not it was a remake.

Respected Contributor

How dare they! They should be ashamed of themselves. They thought they would be better than original???!!!! Ugly cast.

Esteemed Contributor

@JML wrote:

I watched the whole 3 hours, but as much as I like Abigal Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine), she was totally miscast for this part. There will never be another Jennifer Grey. 

I watched the whole thing, too, and I agree.  I think Abigail is adorable.  But this role was not right for her.  There needs to be a certain amount of sexiness, and there was none.  No chemistry between the two of them, either.

Jennifer Grey nailed it - the perfect combination of innocent and sexy, so appropriate and realistic for the age and background of the character as well as the story.

Respected Contributor

Abigail Breslin was very miscast.   

Penny was too 

Honored Contributor

I watched it to the end and I hated the ending.  This movie reminded me of a broadway play on film in parts.  It gets a zero rating from me.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I had no intention of watching this remake, but I DVR'd it so had to sit down and watch it tonight.

I almost switched it off after 30 minutes.  I almost switched it off after 1 1/2 hours.  But no, I decided to watch it to the bitter end, hoping it would improve.

Where on earth did they get the story lines for this show?  There was very little about it true to the original.  The parents near divorce?  Neil being so broad-minded?  What happened to Mr. Self-Important? 

Abigail Breslin was stiff from beginning to end and couldn't dance her way out of a paper bag and...ahem...might I say, was a little too well-endowed for the part?  No chemistry at all between her and "Johnny".

Also, the "older sister" who looked years younger?  Who on earth cast this movie?

And the ending?  They changed just about everything in this "remake".  Thumbs down!

Isn't this going to go on tour as a Broadway play?  It's certainly one I won't be seeing.  I can't find a good thing to say about it.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle  The songs were the only good part!

Respected Contributor

I watched it all the way through and even got teary at the end.  That being said the casting of baby was awful.  She is a good actress but just not for this part.  I just cannot imagine why they thought she would be good for the part.  In the original Baby had such a cute little body and she got better at dancing.  In this one she never got better.  It was almost hard to watch her dance.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@doodles76 wrote:

Loved it!! Don't see how you can criticize the dancing or singing. 

Compared to the original, there was no comparison, IMO.

And even not compared to the original, the dancing wasn't very good.  I think a big problem is that the leads were extremely miscast.  But the overall quality was just awful, and I would have felt that way whether or not it was a remake.

I watched it because it was a remake. Otherwise i doubt i would have lasted three hours!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched and wished I hadn't. Lord, what a travesty. The guy who played Johnny was a mediocre dancer at best. Patrick Swayze must be rolling his eyes from the grave. And don't get me started on Abigail Breslin. Couldn't dance her way out of a paper bag if her life depended on it. She looked far too young for Johnny's affections, and she is far too heavy for anyone to believe he lifted her over his head. I am assuming they had a stand in. I am not trying to body shame anyone but the casting crew who thought she would nail the part. What an embarrassment for her. I also thought they hurried the story along and then added things that weren't necessary or part of the original. Worse yet, they stole the ending of La La Land as the final insult.My feeling about remakes of any popular movies is "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." Just watch the rerun of the original.