Honored Contributor

Re: ON NOW - Dirty Dancing remake

Not having watched it, but reading the various comments, one question comes to mind for me.

There are quite a few young actors who are also dancers, or at least also have the talent to dance well.

It would seem to me that, for a picture like this, they would cast actors who either were already dancers (how about Derek Hough?), or actors who could train to get up to a decent level of dance quality.

Or, if they couldn't get Derek, his sister for the female lead.   These two are amazing dancers.   I loved her in that one rock n roll movie.  I can't remember the name of it, but it was widely panned and I really iked it a lot . Tom Cruise was also in it and other major stars.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was odd that they used the same songs as in original for the most part but not the original artists, that was a huge mistake. Breslin did not seem to have many skills in her dance moves, she will be next on DWTS!! They aged Debra Messing about 10 years and Bruce Greenwood was the Dad. Nicole Scherzinger was Penny, now that girl can dance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WHY, why did they cast Abigail Breslin as Baby?  I loved her in Little Miss Sunshine, but she she wasn't right for the part of Baby.  She had no chemistry with anyone and basically clump, clumped around while she danced.

She often moved with her shoulders hunched forward and neck pulled down, someone should have told her to stand up straight.

I missed the opening but watched most of it in bed with a cold.  So many really bad parts, like leaving Penny alone and wounded while Johnny and Baby got it on.

It was a disaster, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

To be fair, in the original, after Dr. Houseman treated Penny, Baby and Johnny had sex, too.

I think that even if the original cast members were to re-do the movie, line-for-line and scene-for-scene, (and yes, I am perfectly well aware that that could never happen because some cast members have died, such as Patrick S., the ctor who played as Baby's father, and others), even that would fall short of the "magic" that the original had.

Honored Contributor

I saw the finale and thought it was pretty bad.

People talked about the chemistry between Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze and were surprised to learn they didn't care for each other.  There was ZERO chemistry between this Johnny and Baby. She seemed like an odd choice for a dancer.

Tony Roberts and Billy Dee Williams must be desperate for a pay check.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to DVR it, with plans to watch it this weekend. Now I don't know if I'll even bother - after reading the comments here and online in general.

I agree with @chickenbutt - Derek Hough would have made a fantastic "Johnny." And this was an ABC production! They usually take care of their own stars. Maybe Derek's singing is not great(?)

DD thought Anna Kendrick would have made a good "Baby."

We have the original on DVD. Maybe I'll just watch that again this weekend! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

just saw scenes from that movie. Can't comment. LOL

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I saw the finale and thought it was pretty bad.

People talked about the chemistry between Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze and were surprised to learn they didn't care for each other.  There was ZERO chemistry between this Johnny and Baby. She seemed like an odd choice for a dancer.

Tony Roberts and Billy Dee Williams must be desperate for a pay check.

If it's true Patrick and Jennifer didn't care for each other it's a testament to their acting, it never showed on screen. I thought the two leads had zero chemistry, the dance numbers weren't that good. As for the ending I thought what's the point. If you liked Johnny and Baby, you were pulling for them to end up together, only to find out they went their separate ways. I found it a little sad.

Honored Contributor

Since I haven't seen the original DD, I enjoyed watching this re-make.  I meant to Web search (today) the name of the actress 'Baby' (who looked amazing and up-to-date at the very end).  My Internet connection has been frustratingly off and on yesterday and this morning. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Since I haven't seen the original DD, I enjoyed watching this re-make.  I meant to Web search (today) the name of the actress 'Baby' (who looked amazing and up-to-date at the very end).  My Internet connection has been frustratingly off and on yesterday and this morning. 

@ROMARY, I don't ever tell a total stranger what to do, but do yourself a favor and see the original. It was a sleeper of a film that started at zero and sky rocketed.