Honored Contributor

OFFBEAT JOANNE WOODWARD THRILLER TUESDAY 1:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

1:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Signpost to Murder"   Joanne Woodward, Stuart Whitman, Edward Mulhare, Alan Napier, Joyce Worsley, Murray Matheson

MV5BOTk5MWViMGYtZDVjYi00NDkyLTg0NDItZWQwZjQwN2E3ZDJhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcyNDI0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1255,1000_AL_.jpg

This is the one, where Joanne lives in a stylish country retreat in England, ingeniously built around an old water mill.  Hubby is away, just at the time that a clever, hunky mental patient/felon (Stuart Whitman) manages to escape from a nearby institution.... 

Spoiler
He's managed to pick up the odd tidbit from his sympathetic doctor (Edward Mulhare) that, weirdly, the law will permit a new trial for those inmates who escape and manage to remain at large for two weeks.  What could be a better place to hide than vulnerable Joanne's secluded digs?

Both Joanne and Stuart Whitman do full justice to their rather complicated, enigmatic characters, and have a nice chemistry to boot.  The cast is full of Brit stalwarts like Alan Napier and adorable Murray Matheson, and the mid-Sixties production values have a kicky gloss that somehow enchances the feeling of menace and growing attraction...

This gets shown rather rarely, and makes a perfect companion piece to the equally quirky, recently aired "Bunny Lake is Missing". 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: OFFBEAT JOANNE WOODWARD THRILLER TUESDAY 1:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Sounds wonderful. My DVR is set. Thanks @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

I have met Joanne Woodward.  Lovely lady, beautiful in person and gracious.  

Honored Contributor

What fun that you've met her, @Pearlee,.  Oh, I agree, very beautiful, lovely and intelligent, and a first-rate actress who has poured herself into everything she has done.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Whew, we just watched the DVR I'd made of this.  The twists and turns were as satisfying as I had remembered, but had forgotten a key plot event at the very end, that makes the wrap-up even more powerful!  

Highly recommend this to suspense fans.